Is my headgasket leaking?!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is my headgasket leaking?!?

GrandAmMe
11-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I just bought a 2001 Grand Am GT fully loaded with 156,000 KMS. The guy said he got the headgaskets changed either 100k ago or at 100k. When i looked at the gasket i could see a few streaks of water where the gasket is but that could still be on there from last time. It does not look fresh it looks rather old and i think the coolant was on there for a long time. I dont think its too bad of a leak if not any. Ill take a pic when we get the car this weekend:angel. What do you guys think?

Jake
11-18-2008, 10:20 AM
If it looks old, clean the motor pretty good, and if a new leak appears, you will see it.

KhellendrosxS
11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
If the head gasket is leaking you wont have much power. Do a compression test to verify because the head gasket rarely goes bad on these motors.

Its the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket you should worry about.

GrandAmMe
11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
alright then i kno i should look for milky oil and oil in the coolant but any other symptoms to watch out for when this does actually happen(hopefully not). Also where should i look to check if its leaking?

gagt Mechanic
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I see head gaskets leaking on these cars all the time, it will leak on the back corner by the alt, never bad, but they leak. I have only seen one blown out, dumping coolant. I do agree with the lim, rec the dealer kit, comes with new bolts.(tsb)

killswitch08
01-25-2010, 04:10 AM
hey guys I also have a coolant leak problem. ive got a 2002 grand am gt. the low coolant light came on for the first time since ive owned the car last thursday. I looked in the resevoir and it was empty so i filled it up and went for a 40 min drive.. came back and then checked on the resevoir about 3 hours later and it was pretty much empty again. I'm taking the car back to where I bought it because its still under warranty for 2000k im at 157km and the extended warranty is finished at 159k. I remember when i got the car at 79k and it had the head and intake gaskets all replaced because they were starting and now im back to the drawing board.. great car and runs good but terrible for gaskets i guess ? any ideas guys? sorry if you guys posted somewhere on here what to do and i didnt see it.. i checked the oil and it looks good still but i can check around the engine. engine isnt shaking yet and engine temp isnt going up so it must just be starting to leak.. please give me some help/advice cause i really want this car to last as long as possible

Haughee
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Most of the coolant leaks on these cars come from the Lower Intake Manifold Gasket. Refer to this thread: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26761