why did a rim 5x4.5 not fit on my gt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : why did a rim 5x4.5 not fit on my gt

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-19-2008, 08:13 AM
i finally found out the truth on the foose speedster rim i had the tire place test fit a few weeks ago. turns out that this time they say they are 18 x 8.5 , with a +38 offset and a 5x4.5 bolt pattern .

whether it now matters or not i will soon get the back spacing numbers for that size rim. i have yet to find a 18x8.5 with a 5x115 or 5x114.3/4.5 that was made with either a +40 or +38 offset.

but when we test fit that rim that day. we could not push the rim back flush up againest the center of the rotor hub. i am pretty sure it was not the center of the rotor hub or back of the hub center of the rim that stopped it from being fully mounted.

but it looked like the bolts were not 100% lined up properly for each hole . it looked too be a hair out i would guess 1/8 inch off.

so as seen buy the photo chop pictures done in that section , i was only able to hang the rims on the stubs very end, so i could atleast get some idea how they may look on the gt. but because we could not get those to sit on fully i could not tell if a SUPOSELY +38 if they are correct this time , would have looked good.

DrFabulous
11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
If the rim didn't fit over the hub, then the rim didn't have a large enough center bore. Our car has a 70.3mm center bore

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
i may be following you ?? i think what you are saying is that the center hub of the rotor that sicks out the most was hitting the back of the test rim and because test rim hole was not big enough i could not push them on further / all the way. infact there was so much space the 2 never met.

the back of the test fit rim never got anywhere near any part of the center of the rotor hub. must have been a 1" inch more space between back of center of rim and center hub of rotor.

if i slightly touched the test rim with my hand etc ,while sitting on first few threads of the studs the test rims would have fallen off.

i am thinking because it was not touching any part of the center rotor hub with the exception of the rim just barely hang / sitting on the beginning few threads of the studs.

the studs would not come threw the holes any further because each or most of the stud holes in the rim did not line up or center perfectly with the studs.

DrFabulous
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Either the rim is NOT a 5x4.5, or the center bore is too small for the car. Thats the only reason a rim would not slide onto the hub assembly (assuming it clears the brakes)

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-19-2008, 12:35 PM
no problem with brakes never got that close with the test fit. i rule out center bore only because they too never got close enough.

i like you am think these guys still never got the bolt pattern correct each and every time they told me.

i wish the guy would have found his measuring tool at the time . then i would know that forsure. they sell tons of custom rims , but not a huge section . so i rely on there knowledge ???

alot of places up here likely have it easy because the buyers most often know 100% what will fit and how they will look on there cars.

might be a hand full of ga onwers my way that have custom rims. and when you are looking for a rim never be seen on a ga before , there's a bit of guess work. i doubt my test fitting goes on up my way. be easy if i had a honda LOL

RIDNonDUBBS
11-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i bet that the rim is for a mercedes benz 5-112 which is very close and will squeeze on the car but all mercedes hub's are 66.56 and that would explain the other half of your problem.
if you were to try and put lugs on you would only be able to get 4 out of 5 to thread on.

have the rims double checked

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
i would say you could be right i bet if ssomeone where to try if it was possible you could get 4 out of the 5 studs threw . they were so close to being centered in the holes . but i never looked to see how many of them were that close.

pretty bad when you can not rely on the employees and onwer to give me the correct anwers. maybe too much in a rush to sell the winter tires and rims . and this not being the usual time of the year up here to buy custom rims. but only the owner knew when i was actually buying them.