Bumper mounted reverse lights full of water [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bumper mounted reverse lights full of water

GrandAmMe
11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I am picking up a 2001 Black Grand Am GT Saturday and when i went to look at it the drivers side reverse light was filled half-way with water. Is there a way to remove the lights from the bumper and take it apart to clean it? If so can someone tell me how-to?
Thanks in advance!

tjc13
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes, you can remove the light from the bumper. Lay down on your back under the bumper and you can see the nuts that hold the light in place. Just remove them, disconnect the light bulb and it comes out. You can try to reseal the lens but it may be easier to just get a new housing they are pretty cheap.

GrandAmMe
11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
secondly what causes the water to get in them in the first place?

DrFabulous
11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
secondly what causes the water to get in them in the first place?

They aren't shielded at all from the factory. When you're washing your car next time, spray water from inside the back bumper towards the reverse lights.... water just flows through the opening ;crap

PhantomLover007
11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Or a crack or the seal has been worn out. You might want to make sure that it's not a flood victim that got cleaned up and then put back on the market.

GrandAmMe
11-21-2008, 04:54 PM
no its no flood victim. I live like 30 mins away and no floods reported here. its just in one light (drivers) and when i pick it up tomorrow i will empty it and try to clean it as much as possible. Almost every grand am with bumper mounted reverse lights around here have this exact same problem.

tenspeed
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I sealed the socket with RTV. Then I duct taped a piece of heavy plastic over the opening in the bumper cover.

videoman
11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I would suggest something that I did. But a 4" X 14"inch peice of Lexan slice it in half. ( 4X7inches) Drill 2 holes into each one about an inch and a half from one side to match up with the two mounting screws. Unscrew the two nuts holding the reverse lights in and place the peices of lexan in. Then bolt them in and you are good to go.

Think of them as home made mud flaps for them. For about $7 you wont have to worry about turning them into fish tanks or shorting out the electrical.

AznGA
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I think the problem is the sockets coming loose. I just cut those wires so I don't have corner lamps and I sealed the sockets with superglue....although I found out that you can't take out the housing with the socket in place.