Loud *pop* lights dim when braking???? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loud *pop* lights dim when braking????

Jake
11-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I was driving home from a buddies house just now, I hear a loud pop so im like sh!t, step on my brakes and my cd player turns off and all my lights dim for a second and my cd player comes back on about 2 seconds later. SO im like ok wtf is going on. It keeps doing it the whole way home, and I notice the car is shifting different, so I stop at a stop sign and gas it, and the car shifts like it used to before my tune. And the rev limiter is back now, and the fans didnt come on when I turned my car off, its like my Pcm is now set back to stock, and my alarm won;t work now either. And my A/F ratio gauge is constantly running rich unless I am at idle and then it runs all the way lean, same thing it was doing when a vacuum line was unplugged. Is something shorting out, or did a fuse blow or what? I was just driving on the highway under normal conditions when it happened.

Wtf is going on?????

Jake
11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I should also add that when this all happened, my ABS light, brake light and traction light all came on. So when I stopped at the stop sign before I gas'd it, I shut the car off, and when I started it again, all the lights were out. Even my SES light from my rear 02 sensor being unplugged.

PhantomLover007
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
You didn't blow a main fuse or something did you Jake?

Jake
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
You didn't blow a main fuse or something did you Jake?

I have no clue, I am asking to get some opinions, tomorrow of course I am going somewhere else for thanksgiving so I will have minimal time to look at it in the daylight.

PhantomLover007
11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
And I don't have my Hayes book w/ me either... ;crap

Sorry mang.

Jake
11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
And I don't have my Hayes book w/ me either... ;crap

Sorry mang.

I have no clue what could have caused it. Was just cruising. Only thing I have done to the car in weeks is 1 side of component speakers yesterday, ran out of time and couldnt do the passenger side but all day today the car was fine. Should I start pulling fuses? lol

PhantomLover007
11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
You didn't leave any bare wires and something short or ground out did you?

Jake
11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
You didn't leave any bare wires and something short or ground out did you?

Nope all the connections were pretty solid, my only guess is it has to do something with those speakers though cause thats the only thing i've focked with in a while. But why would something like that make my pcm reset? Guess it gives me an excuse to finally send Mark my PCM back lol..........;crap

PhantomLover007
11-26-2008, 10:14 PM
IDK..

Sounds like a plan though... lol

Jake
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
IDK..

Sounds like a plan though... lol

Ugh... I contacted mark to see if he has any suggestions, I am sure some of the guru's here will chime in but I need them to chime in like NOW, lol.

Jake
11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I tlaked to my buddy and he says most likely something shorted out and popped a fuse, that would explain my alarm not working and **** flashing probably, but says he has never heard of a PCM resetting, nor have I.

PhantomLover007
11-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Well. Hopefully you'll get some help in a bit Jake.

Jake
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok so I just went out to my car and my car will not start, when I stick the key in nothing will even light up. The SES light does for like .0001 second and then goes off. And my big fuse coming off the battery for my power wire going to my second battery is blown to ****. But the second big fuse in the trunk is fine.

lone_wolf025
11-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok so I just went out to my car and my car will not start, when I stick the key in nothing will even light up. The SES light does for like .0001 second and then goes off. And my big fuse coming off the battery for my power wire going to my second battery is blown to ****. But the second big fuse in the trunk is fine.

Sounds like a short to me as fuses that big don't pop over nothing. You might possibly have fried something sensitive with that big a pop, but hopefully I'm wrong. I'd double check all those connections you did and any and everything you changed, nudged, moved, or tucked away when you did your work.

McFlurrey06
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM
*sniff sniff*

Do I smell a part out? j/k

Hope everything works out for you, could be big or little. I hope the later

Jake
11-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Why would a simple short from a speaker wire cause my pcm to reset??? Ive had speaker wires short out before and the speakers will cut out thats it. And they were still working fine the whole time.

Jake
11-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Installed my stock Pcm, and the car fired right up. Everything is working normally. Something shorting out as small as a speaker wire couldn't have caused this much trouble could it have???? I see no where from my install of the components that would be shorting out.

PhantomLover007
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
I found out what your problem was Jake..

http://philspector.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gremlins.jpg?w=274&h=300... lol lol

Congrats on getting it working again mang.. Hope you don't have any more issues w/ it

Jake
11-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Ugh........ it's doing it again. I've already looked over all the fuses and none of the fuses are blown (minus the big fuse on my power wire), seems like there is a short, but from where..? I guess I should also add, when the lights dim when braking, I can also hear a click noise everytime i touch the brakes, the click sounds like it is coming right from around the gauge cluster.

Jake
11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Bump, could really use some help I need to go to work in a few hours ;crap

Just went out to my car again, started it, took 3 tries to start and when it did it ran normal at idle. So I shut it off and was looking under the engine bay, I think I found the problem, where the 02 sensor pigtail is for my a/f ratio gauge, we forgot to snap it back into place so it was dangling there and touching the rear header and the header melted it a lot. So I am guessing thats the problem.... except now its doing what it did yesterday, when I stick the key in and turn it, nothing happens. No lights, nothing.

Jake
11-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Luckily JUST the a/f pig tail was damageed, none of the stock pieces. Unfortunately Mark @ MPRacing says I could have very well fried both my PCM's lol.... So hopefully just a new tuned PCM from Mark and a new a/f pigtail and I will be back in business.

The culprit.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6479/0000018fe3.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6489/0000015hw7.jpg

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/714/0000017qq0.jpg

Pretty sure that would cause a short lol.

I was getting a weird smell every now and then as well, this could very well have been it.

McFlurrey06
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Don't forget a new fuse.

Glad your on to something.

Jake
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't forget a new fuse.

Glad your on to something.

Yup :p Great I can't wait to bum rides off people for the next week :banghead

Jake
11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Ugh ok now I took the pcm out and put it back in, car is 100% fine. No clicking, no lights dimming or cd player shutting off, guess I didnt fry the PCM, was just that pigtail shorting everything out.

McFlurrey06
11-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Tuned or stock PCM

Jake
11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Tuned or stock PCM

PCM is currently stock. When it was shorting out it reset my tuned pcm back to stock for some reason so I need to send it back in to be all re tuned.

McFlurrey06
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
send it now to get the sale deal.

lvemy3100
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM
FYI - shorting out a pcm will not reset it back to stock... the only way to reset to stock would be to reflash the pcm

Jake
11-28-2008, 07:19 PM
FYI - shorting out a pcm will not reset it back to stock... the only way to reset to stock would be to reflash the pcm

Ok well then why did the rev limiter return and it shifted like it did when it was stock, and the fans didnt come on when I shut the car off... Idk, either way the Pcm will be shipped out probably tomorrow. Thanks again Mark