Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class II data bus interface [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class II data bus interface

iApex
11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/120/h120GMOS04-f.jpeg

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in many late model (2000-up) General Motors vehicles means losing ONSTAR system functions, the Bose amplified speaker system, audible safety warnings, and the chime that warns the door is open.

Solution: Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class II data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles without losing these functions. Connect your in-dash receiver to the GMOS-04 interface's RCA input jacks. You'll get the great sound you want, and keep these important features intact. The Bose amplified speakers and the ONSTAR system will operate with your new radio, as well as the door chime and audible safety warnings.
Read More

Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the factory radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2000-and up GMC, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Pontiac, Isuzu, and Hummer vehicles. Warranty: 1 year.

Important Note: The new receiver that you're installing must have 2 pairs of preamp outputs. If not, you will need to add a line output converter. If you haven't done so already, please enter your vehicle information or call a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if your GM vehicle's warning chimes are integrated with the factory radio. If so, certain warning chimes in your vehicle may be disabled by installation of an aftermarket receiver. You must use the recommended Crutchfield integration adapter to retain the warning chimes. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or death.

So I'm planning on putting a new head unit in my car. And CrutchField says I "need" this adapter in order to keep my door chimes and what not.

Has anyone herd of this thing before and is it necessary for me to even get it? If avoidable I would like to not get it and save myself $50 the only thing that is really preventing me is the fact that if i buy it with my new head unit its only $50 but if i buy it alone its $100.

Also will installing an aftermarket head unit disable the feature when i turn the car off the radio stays on until i open the door?

DrFabulous
11-28-2008, 03:22 PM
So I'm planning on putting a new head unit in my car. And CrutchField says I "need" this adapter in order to keep my door chimes and what not.

Has anyone herd of this thing before and is it necessary for me to even get it? If avoidable I would like to not get it and save myself $50 the only thing that is really preventing me is the fact that if i buy it with my new head unit its only $50 but if i buy it alone its $100.

You don't "need" it, it just keeps the chimes.

Also will installing an aftermarket head unit disable the feature when i turn the car off the radio stays on until i open the door?

Yes, it will.

iApex
11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
You don't "need" it, it just keeps the chimes.

Yes, it will.

Thats lame, my friend got a aftermarket head unit in his firebird and that feature still works in his car. Maybe theres something in particular you have to do, oh well it will just be like any other car I guess.

I guess ill just go ahead and get it so everything works correctly

GrandAmGT-2008
11-28-2008, 06:54 PM
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/120/h120GMOS04-f.jpeg

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in many late model (2000-up) General Motors vehicles means losing ONSTAR system functions, the Bose amplified speaker system, audible safety warnings, and the chime that warns the door is open.

Solution: Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class II data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles without losing these functions. Connect your in-dash receiver to the GMOS-04 interface's RCA input jacks. You'll get the great sound you want, and keep these important features intact. The Bose amplified speakers and the ONSTAR system will operate with your new radio, as well as the door chime and audible safety warnings.
Read More

Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the factory radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2000-and up GMC, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Pontiac, Isuzu, and Hummer vehicles. Warranty: 1 year.

Important Note: The new receiver that you're installing must have 2 pairs of preamp outputs. If not, you will need to add a line output converter. If you haven't done so already, please enter your vehicle information or call a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if your GM vehicle's warning chimes are integrated with the factory radio. If so, certain warning chimes in your vehicle may be disabled by installation of an aftermarket receiver. You must use the recommended Crutchfield integration adapter to retain the warning chimes. Failure to do so may result, in serious injury or death.

it says it keeps the radio on until door opened with key off.

Malaclypse
11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Thats lame, my friend got a aftermarket head unit in his firebird and that feature still works in his car. Maybe theres something in particular you have to do, oh well it will just be like any other car I guess.

I guess ill just go ahead and get it so everything works correctly

The firebird has an older design stock radio that isn't on Class 2.

Just take the 12v turn-on wire from your headunit and use a scotch-lock to tap into your power window wires. That'll let your radio work in RAP mode.