wintertime is giving me issues... any ideas? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wintertime is giving me issues... any ideas?

bkwales
12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
well, snow is now flying in illinois.. and i am finding out what does not work on my GT..... my ABS does not work.. and i have no warning lights on saying they dont work... my ETS does not work and the light in the dash does not come when you push the button to deactivate it either.. and my cruise does not work, no light in the dash either..

im sure you have dealt with all of this before, can you all tell me where i need to start looking for issues???

thanks in advance.

Brian

cardude007617
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
what do you mean they do not work? like can you fell like wheels completely locking up with no pulsations? ETS doesnt do that much, its barely noticeable when its turned on.

check the CC fuse, maybe its blown.

bkwales
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
yes.. the ABS is out completely. wheels lock. the CC fuse? im not a complete dummy when it comes to cars.. but ive never really worked on something this new.. i am used to working on my old dodge daytonas.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

alerored04
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
He means the fuse for the cruise control. Other than that it sounds like the symptoms of a bad wheel speed sensor in the bearing assembly but without the dummy lights. Thats really odd.

bkwales
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
wheel speed sensor? meaning the typical speed sensor? or a sensor that monitors the slippage for the ETS??

alerored04
12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Pretty much measures slippage for ETS and ABS purposes. There is one in each hub/bearing assembly. They are known to go bad on these cars and when they do the ETS and ABS do not work but the lights for both usually go on along with a svs light. I would consider having a dealer scan it to see if one of them is not working and just not triggering the lights. See if anyone agrees with me.

lone_wolf025
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
wheel speed sensor? meaning the typical speed sensor? or a sensor that monitors the slippage for the ETS??

Second one. Its not the VSS which in a different area.

bkwales
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
thank you for all the info... much apreciated.

gagt Mechanic
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
when you turn your key to the on posision and you dash does the light check, do all the lights light up?

bkwales
12-02-2008, 12:39 AM
yes they do

lone_wolf025
12-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Turn on the car, put it in gear and let it move forward for a bit. You should hear a mechanical sound (I forget what it sounds like) coming from under the hood, which is the test cycling of the ABS motor. If you've started driving the car and haven't heard it while listening, something's wrong with the actuator.

Just for kicks, double check all your fuses and switch around the relays of the affected systems with known good ones.

Bottom line is it sounds like something is not communicating to the computer correctly...

bkwales
12-03-2008, 05:51 PM
well i was wrong. the lights do NOT light up when you do a light check. took it to a dealership today and it had a dozen stored codes... 9 dealing with the left hub assembly, one dealing with the electronic brake relay, one with the left hub and one with the rear antilocks.

how fun is that??

alerored04
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow! Well that might be your problem. Did you just buy this car recently? If so I would go after whoever sold it. I am sure these problems were present and they pulled the bulbs so they could sell it to you.