Gas smell and BAD gas mileage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell and BAD gas mileage

dpstk
12-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I have an 00 Grand AM GT. I have swapped out the fuel pump when it quit, the O2 sensor recently and the car is acting wierd. My 2001 Durango gets better gas mileage then it does. The car smells liek pure gas when it idles for a little while. I have been told it could be a stuck fuel injector, the EGR valve sticking or now possible the carbon canister. I had the codes read at two different places but no codes are thrown. The "service vehicle soon" light comes on intermittantly and the car begins to run a little rough. My wife wants to get rid of it but it's almost paid for and I love the car!! Can anyone shed some light on what this could possibly be? I don't want to give up my car!! Help?!?!!?

tenspeed
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
It could be a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) leak. That seems to be a common problem. Not too hard to fix either.

bkwales
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
what about checking your fuel filter too...... mince was about rusted through and BLACK crap all in it when i changed it... mileage immediately went through the roof

gagt Mechanic
12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I would get the car hot and the cycle the key on and off about ten times, do not start, all you want to do is get the fuel pump to prime and then turn off, check for leaks, if you dont see anything, try to start the car, if it takes excessive cranking then you may be looking at a stuck fuel injector.

Tank33
12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I do not mean to hijack this thread but I am just curious if my mileage is on the good side?

From full to 1/4 of a tank left, I am getting about 340 KM's, or 211 miles. Is this horrible? It sure seems bad.

sudden_impulse
12-07-2008, 10:39 PM
You need to get an accurate measurement (mpg or km/l) for us to know if the mileage is good or not.