Trans temp gauge not reading temp [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trans temp gauge not reading temp

stewartfn18
12-06-2008, 11:30 PM
so today i installed my trans temp gauge and all of the wiring went smoothly. I turned on my car and drove it for a little bit only to find that the gauge was not reading the temp. oil pressure gauge works fine. was i supposed to tap into the plug on the trans right under the cooler lines? connection is nice and snug. What could possibly be causing this? thanks in advance.

boost21
12-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Double check wiring, make sure you have a good ground. Here's a write-up from a while ago
http://www.grandamgt.com/transtemp.html

KhellendrosxS
12-07-2008, 07:19 AM
My temp gauge never moves in the winter (starts at 140*). I installed all of mine during the winter and was a little concerned at first but if the wiring checks out just wait until summer to see what happens. If you get a day above 50 or 60*s then you can probably make it move some after about 15-20 minutes of driving. The hotter it gets outside the faster it moves.

Malaclypse
12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Most trans temp gauges come with a sender of their own. When I installed the one in my Monte Carlo I used a distribution block in the return line to the trans. It was necessary to put a ground wire from the block side of the sender to body ground for the gauge to read properly.

I'm not sure on your setup though.

stewartfn18
12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
well the gauge is a short sweep gauge. i drove for about 40 miutes today and the gauge started to read the temp, but it never got above the mark between 100 and 150. Its getting a signal though.

DrFabulous
12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
lulz I is fail

sudden_impulse
12-07-2008, 06:02 PM
My stock temp gauge starts moving before 5 minutes of driving, and it's about 15 degrees out here. It should be reading before that

Trans temp? You don't have one of those stock Fab.

DrFabulous
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Trans temp? You don't have one of those stock Fab.

lulz didn't read

KhellendrosxS
12-07-2008, 08:05 PM
well the gauge is a short sweep gauge. i drove for about 40 miutes today and the gauge started to read the temp, but it never got above the mark between 100 and 150. Its getting a signal though.

Yep, itll jump up when summer hits!

stewartfn18
12-07-2008, 10:39 PM
All right cool we'll see when it starts to warm up.

Double check wiring, make sure you have a good ground. Here's a write-up from a while ago
http://www.grandamgt.com/transtemp.html

its grounded to the same thing as the oil pres. gauge, so all of the wiring is fine. Thanks for all of the help guys.