weird problems when car is cold? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : weird problems when car is cold?

blondiez24gt
12-13-2008, 11:40 PM
My car runs. and drives great when its warm out, or after its warmed up. First thing in the morning though when its really cold all night long it acts weird when first started. It actually starts up fine, but when I put it in gear to go it acts like it doesn't have very much power like its in a high gear or something. It goes, but You have to give it alot of gas to get it to move. After You get it up to speed it goes fine, and even when You slow down and start again its fine. Its just when You first put it into gear when its sat over night in the cold. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've checked all the fluids there all good. Just did a recent tune up on it. Its not throwing any codes. I'm stumped. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

cardude007617
12-14-2008, 12:51 AM
sounds normal. everythings just "stiff". your car doesnt like being driven when its cold (at first) anymore than you enjoy sitting in that cold ass car waiting for it to warm up. mine does the same thing (i live in WI) just go EASY on the pedal until its gets past the line in the middle of "COLDDDD" and normal which is also where i first turn my heat on

gagt Mechanic
12-14-2008, 04:48 PM
in any car be careful when it is cold out and you start driving, I try to let my car warm up to atleast 100 before I start. remember, metal contracts when its cold, so just getting in it and driving when its like 20 can cause extra ware.

blondiez24gt
12-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Well I usually let it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes before I drive it. My other car doesn't do this though. Thats why I thought it was weird. My other car is a 1991 chevy cavalier z24 with a 3.1, and 3 spd auto. Why would My z24 not do it, but the Grand Am act this way? I don't see what the difference would be.

350rs
12-15-2008, 10:18 AM
the sluggishness is from the oil being super thick when its cold, both engine and tranny. among other things of course, but thats one of the BIG ones. what kind of oil are your useing? whats its winter weight? ( the w) i had a guy come into work the other day askin why his car does that same thing. he uses a straight 30 weight though. but yea, deff take it easy while its warming up. and if you can, let it sit and warm up awhile. driveing it hard when its cold leads to bent rods and worse.

blondiez24gt
12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm currently running Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w 30 in both cars. Thats why I thought it was kinda strange. Do You think I should put 5w 20 in the Grand Am?

Mike Jung
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm currently running Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w 30 in both cars. Thats why I thought it was kinda strange. Do You think I should put 5w 20 in the Grand Am?
NO !

If you want for winter ONLY:
Mobil 1 0W-30

350rs
12-15-2008, 11:24 PM
hm. yea im useing the mobile 1 5-30 AND lucas oil stabilizer and it isnt sluggish..

either way dont worry about it too much. check your air filter and ignition, the engine CRAVES more air during cold startups so give it the air it needs.

blondiez24gt
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Well I just recently did a tune-up. Its got a k&n air filter in it. New ACDelco Iridium spark plugs, and new spark plug wires. Any other clues as to what could be causeing this?

350rs
12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
did you clean the MAF?

blondiez24gt
12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
No... I don't know how. What do I have to do to clean it? I've never had a car with the maf before. ;)

350rs
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
go to a local parts store and ask for a can of MAF cleaner. its an aerosol. when you get home take the MAF completely out. look inside and youll see 2 or 3 resistors. i dont remember. spray those from a bit of a distance, you DO NOT want to damage them. if you do youll be buying a new MAF. if they are really dirty it will cause the car to run a bit strange. thats something i do everytime i change my oil. deff isnt necessary, but it dosent hurt so.

blondiez24gt
12-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Alright Thanks for that info. I'll have to try that, and see if it helps out any. It couldn't hurt it any I guess! lol

350rs
12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
may not help either, but its a cheap thing to do. plus it can help in overall power and mileage