Car died on the thruway, and a few more times [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car died on the thruway, and a few more times

ryanbgb22
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I was driving on the thruway, something seemed kinda odd. A few minutes later my car died, acting like it ran out of gas. It wouldnt start back up. I let it sit for about 20minutes, and it started again. I drove it about 5 miles and let it sit for about an hour while I was at school. After that, started again, but while driving it wouldn't go over about 3000 rpm. A few minutes later it died again and wouldnt start. Finally i got it started, drove it to a shop, and it died as I was pulling into the parking lot.

I'm thinking this must be a fuel pump correct? If so, how much am I looking at to get it replaced?

tenspeed
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
How old is your fuel filter? It could be clogging up. Lots cheaper than a pump and it should be changed if you get a pump anyways.

ryanbgb22
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
How old is your fuel filter? It could be clogging up. Lots cheaper than a pump and it should be changed if you get a pump anyways.

hmmm true. Mines prob. as old as the car. I know for a fact it has at least 50k on it though.

gaowners32
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
hmmm true. Mines prob. as old as the car. I know for a fact it has at least 50k on it though.

Check your cold air intake it might have come off the TB.

Nick-G
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
You should get that fuel filter changed whether it's the problem or not.

ryanbgb22
12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Check your cold air intake it might have come off the TB.

I think it's definitely something involving fuel. Usually I can hear my pump priming when i turn the key, but now I can barely hear it and it sounds alot different. Good thinking though, as that does cause a similar effect.