Hard start when warm + leaking fuel = bad [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hard start when warm + leaking fuel = bad

DrFabulous
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Been having issues with getting her started when its been warmed up, and noticed a smell of fuel the other day. Popped the hood, saw this, and :scream:
(don't mind the crappy quality, taken with BB in -5 degree weather)

Fuel pressure regulator, right?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/011.jpg

cardude007617
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
lol funny you bring this up, im lookign around for where to get one from.
rock auto has a Delphi one for the same price shipped as you can get em from autozone and such.
but ya, looks like thats your problem!

tenspeed
12-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Discount on RockAuto Parts!

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on December 21, 2008; so don't wait!

GrandAmMe
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
hmm.... this could be my problem also. Does your car crank and crank and start roughly but after that its fine? I also noticed a fuel smell yesterday after it started bad but thats not the only occasion it smelled after starting bad.

EDIT: Mine also looks very corroded . I mean the whole thing.

GrandAmMe
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
did you figure it out yet?

DrFabulous
12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
If thats the problem? I'm assuming so... its about 5 degrees out, so I'm not able to look into it much yet.

GrandAmMe
12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
does my problem posted above sound familiar to yours?

DrFabulous
12-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Yup

sudden_impulse
12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
To test that you can do the suck test. Follow the vacuum line on top to the intake manifold. Pull that off and put a rag over the hose. Suck on the tube: it should be like sucking on a straw when your finger is over the other end. If it isn't, stop sucking: you're going to get a mouthful of gas if you keep going, and the FPR is bad.

On RockAuto the part number is FP10020 for the Delphi one that costs $43.79, 17113622 for the AC Delco one that costs $51.79. GM Parts Direct has one for $50.77, so if you have a buddy who works at a dealership they can get it for that price.

silvergtjrad
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Mine cracked over the winter last year when I still had the GA. I had the same symptoms as you. Its very easy to change out.

DrFabulous
12-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Someone want to lend me a heated garage? lol

I'll just have to do it over the holidays at my parents

GrandAmMe
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
for the guy who said he did it already is it just a quick swap? Like is there any type of sealant need to be used or is it just a quick pull the old one out and put the new one back in?

silvergtjrad
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
for the guy who said he did it already is it just a quick swap? Like is there any type of sealant need to be used or is it just a quick pull the old one out and put the new one back in?

You need a torx bit to take the regulator off of the rail, and it will just slide out. The fuel line can be take off with a couple of crescent wrenches if you dont have access to the correct sizes. Be careful sliding the new regulator back into the rail so you dont damage the O-ring. Its very simple and shouldnt take more than 15 minutes. No gaskets or sealants, etc.

Be sure to relieve the pressure from the fuel rail via the schrader valve on the passenger side. Also be sure to have some rags to sop up the fuel.

alerored04
12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Easiest way to check is to pull the vacuum line off the top of the reg. If it drips fuel it's bad. Matt if you need a heated shop you could come down here to my place. Like an hour drive for you.

GrandAmMe
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
ill go with the pull the vacuum line of the top of the regulator.

EDIT: Do i have to relieve the fuel pressure to check the regulator by taking the vacuum line off the top?

alerored04
12-18-2008, 06:17 PM
No you do not.

DrFabulous
12-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Easiest way to check is to pull the vacuum line off the top of the reg. If it drips fuel it's bad. Matt if you need a heated shop you could come down here to my place. Like an hour drive for you.

Thanks Matt, appreciate the offer.... but my parents live like 10 mins north of Chaska, so its pretty much on the way out to your house anyways. Thanks tho!

GrandAmMe
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
OK i think mine is leaking but i wanna make sure......i looked at it after a hard start and there was a little wet spot raight before the fuel rail....is this it?? ill get a pic up in a few min.