Coolent smell [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolent smell

The_Wraith
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I've noticed a coolent smell (I think I do anyway) doesn't look like I lost any...

It's a 2004 V6 GT(made in may 2003), I got with 20k, it now has 73k on it... I just got home and thought I smelled coolent again, so I looked and I think I see a dark orange (or could be rust) about under the thermostat housing... (if you look right below the housing, and back a little on the block, right passed the exhuast sheild)

Is this where the LIM leaks?

man I really don't wont to have to replace that now..

gaowners32
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I've noticed a coolent smell (I think I do anyway) doesn't look like I lost any...

It's a 2004 V6 GT(made in may 2003), I got with 20k, it now has 73k on it... I just got home and thought I smelled coolent again, so I looked and I think I see a dark orange (or could be rust) about under the thermostat housing... (if you look right below the housing, and back a little on the block, right passed the exhuast sheild)

Is this where the LIM leaks?

man I really don't wont to have to replace that now..

No the LIM leaks around the lower intake gasket. Flush your oil and see if there is orange liquid in it. If its leaking at the thermo-stat it might be stuck closed.

blackgt2k
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
can you take a pic of where the coolant is pooling? i hate to say but it does sound like your gaskets are leaking. especially if your seeing orange or liquid in that area. pics would help

Iceminze101
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I've changed my LIM gasket and i'm smelling a faint collent smell too. I used the FelPro version 2 gasket and had the car running for not even 3000 miles yet. I've noticed wettness on all sides of the motor between the head and the LIM. Finally today I've noticed orange just a little left of the thermostat housing. Are you guys thinking what i'm thinking? Time to try the gasket again! Any suggestions on what I should do so this doesn't happen again? Has anybody ever has a warped LIM? So far no coolent in the oil but I plan on changing it out this weekend.

awfulwaffle
04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Go and rent a pressure tester, pressurize the cooling system, and you'll be able to see where the leak's comin from.

Iceminze101
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Thats a good idea. I wasn't going to because the tester that I have is the older type that are used on the ones were the cap is on the radiator. I'll check out Auto Zone.

Has anyone ever used the kit from NAPA "BK600198"? I picked it up today for $87.00 and it comes with the metal LIM gasket just like my Felpro's and the kit comes with lower and upper intake, valve cover, new LIM bolts, egr gasket, and coolent line o-rings.