Changing UIM [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing UIM

Jbrinda18
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
is changing the UIM as easy as takin out a few bolts and diconnecting some sensors? I'm about to change mine. my uncle worked on cars his whole life and he's tellin me i can do some serious damage if i don't know what i'm doin. But i can't think of anything that could go wrong...

geldartb
12-19-2008, 07:26 PM
the only real serious damage you can do is if you decide to be superman and strip out the threads in the LIM.

its actually pretty simple. make sure if there's any gasket that's stuck to the lim when you take the UIM off to clean it off. you don't want to crack the new upper your putting on.

AaronGTR
12-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Question is, why are you taking off just the UIM?

Anyway, no it's not really hard. You DO need to know what you are doing though. There are a few bolts to take out and some vacuum lines to disconnect. The throttle body is bolted to it too and that is also connected to some coolant lines and the throttle cables, so the easiest thing to do is remove the TB from the UIM. You'll need to replace the TB gasket then though. It's your choice, TB gasket or mess with coolant hoses and throttle cables....

Other than that you'll just need new UIM gaskets, and as stated above make sure you clean off all the old gasket material before you slap the new ones on. :) And use a torque wrench! Don't strip the thread out in the holes in the LIM.

Malaclypse
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
The most important thing.... DO NOT SWITCH THE PUSHRODS. There are two different lengths.

And your uncle is correct. I've seen it a couple of times where people attempted their own repairs, got in way over their heads and had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership with a box of parts in the trunk. Yeah that gets really costly for them.

Nick-G
12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
The most important thing.... DO NOT SWITCH THE PUSHRODS. There are two different lengths.

And your uncle is correct. I've seen it a couple of times where people attempted their own repairs, got in way over their heads and had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership with a box of parts in the trunk. Yeah that gets really costly for them.

He's changing just the UIM he wont even see pushrods.

alerored04
12-20-2008, 12:01 AM
John it is total cake. But if you have any problems pm me for my phone number, I can walk you through it or just come up there.

Jbrinda18
12-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys! i'm doin it cause i'm also puttin in a 65mm tb.

i also want to put in my 28lb injectors, i read that th're easy to swap outorrect?, do i need o do anything special for those? they're right under the UIM correct?

stewartfn18
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
fuel rail is a bitch and a half to take out, not because its hard, but because they are usually seated in there pretty well. at least mine were. i didnt even bother taking that off when i did my LIM gaskets just for this reason.
EDIT: amd what are the reasons for the 28 pounders. not neccesary on an otherwise stock engine.

black05GT
12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
If you install the 28# injectors, which, as said above, aren't needed on a relatively stock engine, you should have the table in the PCM updated so the PCM knows that you put the new injectors in. If not done, your engine will run rich, and waste gas

Metallman56
12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
i totally agree with everything said here.

if i were you i'd keep my stock injectors on there. like said above you dont really need them. plus, there a real b*tch to get out of the LIM. you cant just yank em out, you have to be very careful. but yes, to get to the injectors all you have to do is take of the UIM, which isnt really too bad.

as far as the throttle body goes, you dont have to take off the UIM for that. iirc its 3 bolts, 2 sensors, and a the throttle cable. took me less then an hour to do mine.

good luck man

Jbrinda18
12-21-2008, 01:50 AM
well i have a bored out p&p UIM and 65mm tb that i'm putting in. so the 28lb injectors won't improve performance at all?

AaronGTR
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
For the mods you have, no... bigger injectors aren't required. Really you should scan the car and see what the injector pulse width is during a WOT run to redline to see if the injectors are approaching their max before ever considering bigger injectors. Typically you'll need a lot more like headers, cam, ported heads, etc before your air flow reaches a level the stock injectors can't keep up with.

But yeah, if and when you do change the injectors, they are usually pretty tight in the LIM so you have to be careful pulling them out. And it's usually best to put a little oil on the o-rings when putting them back in so they go in easy. You also have to be careful with the o-ring on the fuel supply line going into the rear fuel rail. It's very easy to cut it when pulling it out and it will leak when you put it back in, so it's best to have a new o-ring on hand to put on when you re-install it.

You said you have a bored out and P&P UIM already? So you mean the TB hole is bored out already? And what size, 62mm or 65mm? If it's already 65mm then you obviously don't need to pull the UIM off to open the bore up to match the TB. Or do you mean you got a bored and P&P UIM that you are replacing the stock one with? Otherwise there would be no reason to pull the UIM. You can install the TB without taking it off. :thumbs:

alerored04
12-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I think he is replacing the stock UIM with a P&P one bored to 65mm. The 28lbs will not be necessary. I am running a cam on stock injectors. Unless I went to high comp or something I wont need them.

Jbrinda18
12-21-2008, 04:37 PM
i still have the stock UIM and tb installed. i bought a new UIM bored to 65mm and new 65mm tb so that's what i'm puttin in. Thanks guys you obviously know you're stuff so i'll take your word on it.

curtpank
12-26-2008, 11:13 PM
what are the issues with replacing the UIM and not the LIM (in other words, running with ported UIM and stock LIM along with bigger TB)?

PhantomLover007
12-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm waiting to see how much fun I'm goign to have when I install my ported MAF, ported UIM and 65mm TB.

Nick-G
12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
what are the issues with replacing the UIM and not the LIM (in other words, running with ported UIM and stock LIM along with bigger TB)?

Their are no problems with changing the UIM and not the LIM. But the best option for the best performance gain is to change both the UIM and LIM that way the ports will be the same size.

curtpank
12-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Their are no problems with changing the UIM and not the LIM. But the best option for the best performance gain is to change both the UIM and LIM that way the ports will be the same size.

thanks for the reply...so having a stock LIM would greatly reduce the benefits gained from a ported UIM and larger TB.

Although I suppose one could say the same thing about having CAI, headers, hi-flow cat and cat-back (like I do), since my intakes are not ported.

Are the 99-2005 GT LIM and UIM pretty restrictive?

geldartb
12-28-2008, 11:01 AM
think of it this way your making the opening on the UIM bigger on each port thus creating a

larger hole but leaving the LIM the same stock size thus creating a little shelf for the air to hit

on the way down.

instead of the air having a larger hole to travel down on the entire path it hits the smaller

opening on the LIM creating turbulence canceling out any added benefit the porting of the

UIM would create.

so if you really want to get the best benefit of porting them it would be best to do both at the same time. when you do the LIM use the metal fel-pro gaskets they cost 80 bucks but are worth it.

PhantomLover007
12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks like I might wait to put all my enigine parts on until I change the LIM... ;crap... lol

Jbrinda18
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
has anyone actually done this? cause i'm doin it now and the alternater is on the same bolt as the UIM so i can't get it off, this is seemin like a lot more work than it should be...

Jbrinda18
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
and do i have to get a bypass for the coolant? because i think it flows throught the stock tb and it looks like the new one i got doesn't have anywhere for it to go through

Grandamgtblk99
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Just remove the alternator. Its easy. like 3 bolts and pull off. Hardest part is putting it back on, but i can do it in like 5 minutes.

AaronGTR
01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Uh... huh? Alternator? No idea what you are talking about man, my UIM comes off just fine without removing the alternator.

As for the coolant bypass... yes, the new billet TB's do not come with a coolant hook up. All you need is a short piece of rubber tubing to loop between the two nipples coming off of the heater pipe. That replaces the two short rubber pieces that went to the stock TB, and it will keep the system sealed and is cheap and easy.

Jbrinda18
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok everythings done. i started my car and the engine's movin quite a bit, and its not idling smoothly at all, rpms are jumping around anywhere from 1500 to 500. is this temperary because i just changed things?

i did however manage to damage the small vaccuum line that goes from the fuel rail to the thing in the back of the UIM, could that be whats causing this?

Grandamgtblk99
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
yea, that goes to your map sensor I believe, and thats very important.

Jbrinda18
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
so i can't drive it?

Grandamgtblk99
01-06-2009, 01:26 AM
If its the tube Im thinking of, its the tube to the fuel pressure regulator And Im not 100% sure whatll happen, but youd either run really rich or really lean im guess.

alerored04
01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
That is the MAP sensor back there. Operates somewhat like the MAF and is as important. Repair that vacuum line and see if it runs better.

AaronGTR
01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
There is no vacuum line the comes from the fuel rail... there is one that goes from the front corner of the UIM to the fuel pressure regulator. The one in the back has a T in it and goes to the MAP sensor and something else. Damaging either one of those will make your rpm jump like that. Classic sign of a vacuum leak, plus it will mess up the signal to either of those components. I advise fixing that line before driving it if at all possible, and as soon as possible.

Jbrinda18
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
i'm dropping it off at a shop tomorrow morning, ya you're right its the FPR. thanks for the help guys, i'll be donating to the site cause its definately worth it.

alerored04
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Why take it in to repair a vacuum line? All you need to do is tape it (ghetto i know) or replace with a different hose. Easy stuff.

Jbrinda18
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
i did the best repair i could on the little vaccuum line but it was still havin problems. turns out the EGR valve had a major leak :\ don't know how that happened but its taken care of now, runnin great, pretty noticable gains from the TB

PhantomLover007
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
OK. So I'm changing out my UIM, TB, and MAF tomorrow. I'm kinda tired of the stuff that I bought from Timka sitting waiting for the LIM to go out.. lol. Everything is 65mm. I'm going to send the spare LIM that I have in to Mark and get the ported on later. :)

1. I've already got a FelPro gasket for the UIM. Will I need to trim this?

2. I've got to go get a TB gasket also. Am I gonna have to get a spacer, too? I know I'm gonna have to trim the gasket.

3. I need to do a coolant bypass w/ the TCE billet TB from what I gather. Can I pick these up from AutoZone and what size hosing do I need?

GrandAmGTTT
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
:hay:i did the best repair i could on the little vaccuum line but it was still havin problems. turns out the EGR valve had a major leak :\ don't know how that happened but its taken care of now, runnin great, pretty noticable gains from the TB

you should get the EGR delete kit, its kinda a pain in the ass to do though lol, and i need to get my LIM ported to match my upper

PhantomLover007
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
OK. So I'm changing out my UIM, TB, and MAF tomorrow. I'm kinda tired of the stuff that I bought from Timka sitting waiting for the LIM to go out.. lol. Everything is 65mm. I'm going to send the spare LIM that I have in to Mark and get the ported on later. :)

1. I've already got a FelPro gasket for the UIM. Will I need to trim this?

2. I've got to go get a TB gasket also. Am I gonna have to get a spacer, too? I know I'm gonna have to trim the gasket.

3. I need to do a coolant bypass w/ the TCE billet TB from what I gather. Can I pick these up from AutoZone and what size hosing do I need?

No one?

stewartfn18
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
1. no the UIM is gasket matched meaning the sizes of the holes are stock,but the runners are ported.

2. no spacer needed

3. get a piece of heater tubing from autozone, i forgot what size though. it relativily cheap.

PhantomLover007
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Cool. Thanks David. I wantd to make sure.

Not to be a dumbass, but what are the runners?

PhantomLover007
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
OK. I guess here's what a simple coolant bypass hose is. It took this OLD brain a bit to figure out. Any of you guys smell smoke??? lol lol

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Slide1-1.jpg

GrandAmGTTT
04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Ya the coolant bypass is the easiest thing in the world lol. I just did mine today since i finally got my 65mm TB from Mark today :) which i def. notice a huge differ. with the ported UIM and 65mm TB. Now to wire up the nitrous and tune my PCM oh and put my LS1 MAF on and tune it for that. And i'm putting new motor mounts on bc mine are shot and the motor moves when i put it into gear

PhantomLover007
04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
OK. Now I have an issue.... ;crap

The hard plastic grey tubing that runs from the back of the engine to coupler (i'm using a CAI from MPRacing) beteen the TB and the MAF isn't quite long enough. How can I fix this. I have to have the car running by tomorrow morning for PT. The TCE Tb that I put on is a bit thicker than the stock TB, which accounts for the difference.

Someone help me quick. I'm a bit scared that I'm going to break the damn tubing if I try to stretch it. ;crap

Grandamgtblk99
04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
You can probably snip in the middle and use vacuum tubing to connect the two ends.

GrandAmGTTT
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
OK. Now I have an issue.... ;crap

The hard plastic grey tubing that runs from the back of the engine to coupler (i'm using a CAI from MPRacing) beteen the TB and the MAF isn't quite long enough. How can I fix this. I have to have the car running by tomorrow morning for PT. The TCE Tb that I put on is a bit thicker than the stock TB, which accounts for the difference.

Someone help me quick. I'm a bit scared that I'm going to break the damn tubing if I try to stretch it. ;crap

it should fit, i just did mine today, try adjusting the CAI so that its closer to it

PhantomLover007
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
You can probably snip in the middle and use vacuum tubing to connect the two ends.

I might just have to try that later on.

it should fit, i just did mine today, try adjusting the CAI so that its closer to it

I got it to fit finally after ALOT of finagling. I had to pop the wheel off to adust the whole CAI. Gave me chance to clean the filter after a year or so of being on there too. I lost one of the bolts that secures the coils to the UIM ;crap and it threw a P0122 code (which I cleared), and I got a low coolant light(forgot to tighten down the res cap). All is good and and run great and no coolant leaks. :leg

65mm up to the LIM. That's next..

Here's some pics..

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/The%20Grand%20Am/65mmUIMTBMAFchange2.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/The%20Grand%20Am/65mmUIMTBMAFchange.jpg

Dammit!! Did I highjack this thread or what... lol lol

RPO3
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Good deal bro, that blue is tight!

Jake
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM

That's what I had to do when my dad and I did mine. Worked great.

GrandAmGTTT
04-28-2009, 08:09 AM
I might just have to try that later on.

I got it to fit finally after ALOT of finagling. I had to pop the wheel off to adust the whole CAI. Gave me chance to clean the filter after a year or so of being on there too. I lost one of the bolts that secures the coils to the UIM ;crap and it threw a P0122 code (which I cleared), and I got a low coolant light(forgot to tighten down the res cap). All is good and and run great and no coolant leaks. :leg

65mm up to the LIM. That's next..

Here's some pics..

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/The%20Grand%20Am/65mmUIMTBMAFchange2.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/The%20Grand%20Am/65mmUIMTBMAFchange.jpg

Dammit!! Did I highjack this thread or what... lol lol

lol yes u did :hijacked: and i need to port the LIM as well, are u gonna do it urself or have someone else do it for ya?

ltpats
04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
He's changing just the UIM he wont even see pushrods.

Whatever you do DO NOT mix up the connecting rods !!! :crazy:

PhantomLover007
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
lol yes u did :hijacked: and i need to port the LIM as well, are u gonna do it urself or have someone else do it for ya?

I don't trust myself enough. I don't have the tools to do it either, unless I can use a Dremel. I'm gonna send it in to MPR.