My Grand Am gave me an x-mas present! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My Grand Am gave me an x-mas present!

GrandAmMe
12-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Well, went outside this morning,let the car warm up and when i went to back out of the driveway i accidentally left the e-brake on but turned it off as soon as i heard the dinger. After releasing it i heard a pop. After driving a meter down the road i get the wonderful x-mas tree on my dash saying i have NO TRAC, SERVICE VEHICLE SOON, (ABS). Oh great;crap just something more to add to my x-mas list, a new hub assembly! When i got back home i turned the car off and started it back up and all of these were cleared:angel. Just to make sure they wouldnt come back on i took it for a spin around the block. They never returned but i noticed my burning smell getting worse everytime the E-Brake is used. Any ideas?

notsoaveragej0e
12-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Stop using the e-brake?

stewartfn18
12-20-2008, 11:13 AM
ebrake frozen maybe, i dunno what else to suggest. I see that you live in ontario, i imagine its pretty cold right now.

GrandAmMe
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Its like -14 celsius at the moment. I just took the car out like 6 times and they never came back. ETS, (ABS) and all the electronic nannies are working. I also found out that while cranking if i quickly pump the pedal it starts up fine without the extended crank. I look forward to seeing what other messages come on when we get our extra 15-20 CM Tonight.

silvergtjrad
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Wheel speed sensor

GrandAmMe
12-20-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah i know the wheel speed sensor goes bad on these cars but all the lights went away and everything is working!

gagt Mechanic
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
mine dose it also from time to time when its cold, I wouldnt bother with it until it becomes consistant or the bearing becomes loose

ryanbgb22
12-21-2008, 08:14 AM
My lights come on every time i pull the ebrake in the snow. I turn the car off and they go away. As far as the burning smell, I don't know.

GrandAmMe
12-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah i checked underneith the car for a bag but when i looked the smell gets worse under the car. Its weird but im glad they went away. Ill see what happens when i go out soon. We have 10+ cm's of snow here and counting. Is it just me or does ETS not do much?

AaronGTR
12-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Why are you using the e-brake in winter anyway? You don't have a manual transmission.

ryanbgb22
12-21-2008, 08:30 AM
ETS is pretty useless and annoying imo.

GrandAmMe
12-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Its a habit. I no its only "really" supposed to be used for manuals but my driveway is on a steep slope downward and i don't wanna take any chances. Im not going use it any longer.

Mike Jung
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Its a habit. I no its only "really" supposed to be used for manuals but my driveway is on a steep slope downward and i don't wanna take any chances. Im not going use it any longer.
But torque lock against the parking pin FTL.

You'll find out; if you don't set the parking brake correctly, before putting it in P.

Mike Jung
12-21-2008, 09:33 AM
...Is it just me or does ETS not do much?

ETS is pretty useless and annoying imo.
ETS tries to control wheel spin: If any of the front wheels spin at a different speed or the rear wheels are going at a different speed than the front wheels (via the ABS sensors).
By cutting back your throttle or upshifting.

Good tires are more important, & an improvement.
Winter tires FTW !!!
With better tires: Your ABS & traction control will come on less.

Remember: You cannot not get (or create) more traction than the 4-tires provide, no matter what !

04GrandAM SC/T
12-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I have this same problem. It only comes on every once and awhile. Then ill turn my car off and start it again and it wont come back on. I haven't smelled anything burning at all. I have brand new bridgestone blizzaks that i put on about 4 weeks ago. I'm going to plug in a diagnoses reader in the computer and see what exactly the codes are and see where that gets me since i work at a dealership.

GrandAmMe
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
i dont think the burning smell has relations with the lights. I just think it was so cold out and it got confused due to me leaving the e-brake on.

EDIT: i just got back from a drive and they never came on. ABS is working now and so is ETS.