abs system activates when the slightest ice on road [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : abs system activates when the slightest ice on road

john1962
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
My 01 Grand Ams ABS system activates everytime on icey or snowy roads. It doesnt matter how slow i go. I could be just crawling along at 1mph and touch the brakes and I get the pulsating braking like you would get if I slammed on the brakes. Any ideas what causes that. The ABS light is not on.

cardude007617
12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
loose connection or bad wheel hub :/

Pauljp
12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I may be wrong about this, but my thoughts are, if it was a bad connection or wheel hub, then it would pulsate even on dry pavement. Is it doing that? If not, then I would think all is good as far as connections and operations is concerned. Perhaps he has one brake grabbing harder than the other wheels, causing the ABS to engage even under conditions as he described.

gagt Mechanic
12-24-2008, 09:41 PM
how are your tires, if crapy, they could be locking up.

AaronGTR
12-25-2008, 08:16 AM
^exactly. If the ABS and/or SVS lights aren't on indicating a problem, and if the car doesn't do it on dry roads... then you probably have a wheel that is locking up on slippery surfaces which is obviously going to set off the ABS system.

Could be worn tires, one tire that is way lower on air pressure than the others, or a brake that is grabbing.