Clutch pedal stuck at floor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal stuck at floor

undersc0re
12-26-2008, 04:53 PM
2001 2.4 5 spd clutch slowly lost resistive travel as I drove it on a real cold day, now pedal just goes to floor and or stays at floor without returning. It was 31 deg below zero and I guess the highway drive froze up the hydraulics pretty good and sumthin slowly gave out. I saw a tech service bulletin on this along my search travels about it with no details.

Is this common and does anyone have any ideas? Can I do anything to find out what part is screwed?? I tried to warm up the parts but I guess the main cylinder or the clutch cylinder is broken because the fluid is all there albeit a little dirty looking.

PhantomLover007
12-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Sound basically like the pressure plate or the throw out springs have given out. Have you been the only owner of the car? Depending on how the clutch was "ridden", regular wear and tear can put it about this long or it could have had ALOT shorter life span.

undersc0re
12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I am the original owner and I don't ride clutches or drop them at 5000 rpm. Maybe its just time for a full change out of all the parts....supposed to be well over 1000 dollars for a full change out of slave and new clutch assembly, with labour.

PhantomLover007
12-26-2008, 06:18 PM
That sounds about the right price range. I had to put a clutch in my '88 LeMans once. That turned out to be a fiasco because my system was stolen while it was in the shop. I think it had been an inside job... ;crap

tenspeed
12-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I would look closely at the master cylinder. If it was going bad, you could lose pressure and the pedal would stay down like you described. It's up on the firewall so it should be easier and cheaper to replace. The slave just moves when pressure is applied.

undersc0re
12-27-2008, 06:48 AM
you know I was really reefing on that pedal when I ran out of clutch in rush hour traffic, maybe I did damage the master cylinder after all, I'll disconnect it and see if its pushing pressurizing at all, if thats possible with it disconnected where I can actually play with it.....maybe I bottomed it out and busted sumthin in the master cylinder when I was pissed at it in rush hour traffic. Not fun when its xmas eve after work and you live out of town lol.

undersc0re
12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, looks like I can't even get that plastic piece to slide out for removing the master cylinder rod off the clutch pedal lol, I think thats where I will draw the line! I managed to get a sore neck and bloody finger though! I will leave this to the professionals...$$$$$

undersc0re
01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
So the dealership kept the car in the shop for a couple days, and $$1600 later they installed new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, slave cylinder, cleaned up flywheel, washed related ara (whatever that is) road test, quantities of clutch kit, Fluid. So I drove it home, parked it in the driveway, went to work with it this morning and it did the same damn thing for 1600 dollars! Nice. So did they just do something that was unnecessary at my cost and now I am stuck with that bill and another one to fix the actual problem, is the fluid supposed to look dark? I checked the fluid after the clutch no longer had resistive travel left(thankgawd I made it to work) and the fluid was pretty dark....anyways I made it to the dealership with a few more years of life taken off the gears..... Is this kinda of service and moneys charged to people all of the time, this is the first time I have ever had to go to a dealer and it seems to be a start to a nightmare......they should have a pay after 1 week of seeing what they fixed was actually fixed policy.

I understand that this stuff happens, but man, 1600 bux and it was for absolutely nothing to do with my original problem,or any problem, maybe the backyard guy down the road was worth waiting 7-9 days for lol. Interesting to see how they handle something like this. On that note does any1 know if the 2009 uplanders are a good buy, they seem pretty cheap right now? dunno if I'll get it from that dealership now or not though.....

undersc0re
03-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I figured I better update this, it ended up being the Master cylinder or the fluid in and around the master cylinder, because after replacing all the other stuff, it did work, but when it got cold again it failed like before. So the shop replaced the master cylinder and flushed ALL the fluid out and it works great now in the cold! Too bad they didn't change the fluid and master cylinder first, would have been cheaper.

tenspeed
03-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I would look closely at the master cylinder.

I figured I better update this, it ended up being the Master cylinder or the fluid in and around the master cylinder......

I'm not as dumb as I look....

undersc0re
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Why couldn't you have been the mechanic that would have saved me about 1300 bux! They never did show me the clutch parts they pulled out....I wonder why lol.