ABS and TRAC OFF [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS and TRAC OFF

mjtr21
12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
hello i did a search for anything relating to my problem and couldnt find anything. okay a couple of months ago i changed the left front hub assembly because the lights were coming on everytime i started the car. now when i start the car, no lights come on but if i drive down the road they do. and i noticed that they only come on when its raining or its damp out. does this mean its a harness and not the hub assembly since it only does is when its wet out?

stewartfn18
12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
get it checked, it could be that the other one that you didnt replace is going bad. just a suggestion

mjtr21
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
got the code read it was C1216. and i think it had something to do with the wires shorting that go to the abs pump.

mjtr21
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
DTC C1216 Brake Control Relay Coil Circuit Open. thats what the code was. so does this mean its a wire going to the EBCM or to the abs pump? the abs light only comes on when its raining or wet out.

mjtr21
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
well the light went out for a whole day then came back on. so i decided to read the codes again. this time there were about 3 codes for the LF wheel sensor. so im guessing i need to replace the harness for that one. also the position of the steering wheel has an effect on it. if i have the wheel turned all the way to the right when i start the car, there are no lgihts. but any other position the lights turn on.

mjtr21
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
went out earlier and looked at the harness. i found that the cv joint is wearing through the shorter harness that comes from the hub assembly itself. im guessing that this harness isnt replacable and im going to need another hub assembly right?

gagt Mechanic
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
nope you need another hub, or you can just try to put electrical tape on it. why is the cv joint hitting the bracket? it should be secured to the knuckle so that dose not happen, as far as the other codes, will take work with a schematic and a dvom, dont know your skill level.

mjtr21
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
the cv joint was wearing through the wire no the bracket. im getting another hub in a couple of days. this time im going to zip-tie the wires away from anything that it will rub on. the other codes didnt show up this time, just the ones for the LF wheel sensor.

mjtr21
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
well i replaced the front left hub assembly and all was good until today. the abs and trac worked fine for about a week then the lights came back on. so i took it to a garage and they found 9 codes! he reset them and took the car for a drive and all 9 came back. here they are:
C1216 - Electronic brake control relay coil open
C1221 - LF wheel speed 0 mph
C1225 - LF excessive wheel speed
C1232 - LF wheel sensor shorted or open
C1238 - LF ESB will not hold Mtr
C1252 - LF channel in release too long
C1291 - Open brake lamp switch during deceleration
C1293 - code 1291 set in previous ign cycle
C1294 - brake lamp switch circuit always active

stewartfn18
01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Wheel speed sensor could be bad. i know that its pretty common with these cars.

mjtr21
01-29-2009, 11:42 PM
yeah even though i just changed it. but a bad WSS wouldnt be giving me those last couple of codes though right?

stewartfn18
01-30-2009, 07:22 AM
yeah even though i just changed it. but a bad WSS wouldnt be giving me those last couple of codes though right?

i was thinking more along the lines of the first 3, but if you just changed it, i dont know.

caraudiodave
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I would look at the wiring again. you might need to do a repair, not just cover with electrical tape. cut out the bad section and solder/heat shrink new wire in there. make sure its secure in all areas.

when you changed the sensor did you have to remove the wire from any kind of clip? did you put it back? thats almost what it sounds like. Make sure the wires arent too close to exhaust components, they might be melted and shorting.

mjtr21
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
yeah i kinda found my problem. i looked under and the damn plug came undone. i noticed that the harness isnt as long as the last hub assembly too so thats probly why it came off. so i got some wire and extended it and made sure to tie it out of the way so it wont rub through again. so i started up the car and no ABS or TRAC OFF. i took the car down the road and they come back on. so i think i got rid of the LF codes. ill have to check which ones i have now.

ga2001gt532
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
well i have the same problem but will this damage any of the systems if you don't quickly replace it. i already replaced one but after a month the other side went out, i can live with out abs and trac for now until it gets warmer out to replace the other side. but my main question is if it would affect anything. i also get the brake light on which when that is on i can't use cruise control.

also is their a way to test the hub by like using a vom

as i later found out mine would only go on when you turned the wheel all the way to the right but never to the left so i knew it wasn't the hub it was the wire, mine got cut about 4 inches before the plug. because when they designed the harness the wire had to do a 90 degree angle up to the plug. so my lights have been on forever untill i figured that out today. i barely even remember how to use abs and trac its been so long.