Problem with Tuned PCM please help!! [Archive] - Forum

View Full Version : Problem with Tuned PCM please help!!

12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok, I got my new tuned PCM from MP racing and I installed it the correct way. So when I went to start the car I would turn over but thats it. I never stalled like the instructions said. I let it sit for 10 minutes with the key in the ON part of the ignition so it could learn the security code and when I went to start it again the same thing happened. I would just crank over and never could start.

Anyone have the same problem? I have no idea why it would do this.

12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Might have to wait more then 10 mins, utill the security light tyrns off. I took mine a few tries and is perfect now.

12-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I'll try that, but the security light was off when I tried to start it though.

12-31-2008, 04:29 AM
pm sent

Mike Jung
12-31-2008, 04:39 AM
Has to be 11-minutes or longer...

Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
On 4th attempt, car should start.
NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

here ya go

12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
The details will get you. When I installed mine for the first time, I waited 15 minutes to be on the safe side. It didn't crank on the 1st attempt, so I did it again and then got the go on the 2nd time.

01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok i got it in and everything started up fine. Now though I have a P0650 code that came up. Anyone know what this could mean?

01-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Ok i got it in and everything started up fine. Now though I have a P0650 code that came up. Anyone know what this could mean?

" P0650 -- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)"

01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Get a code reader from AutoZone and clear it or get them to do it for you. IIRC, they can.

01-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I did some searching and found it means (Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Malfunction)

Does that mean it is like a fuse or dash light that is out? The lights on all the dash seem fine and the car seems to be running fine too. Anyone else have this problem?

01-02-2009, 04:10 AM
the following is a link to a PDF of the gm service bulletin in regards to the p0650 code P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks mark. I did a little searching on the internet and found this too. I'll recheck the PCM connections again and all my fuses to see if I find anything. If that doesn't work I'll just clear the code and see if it comes back up.