What is the newest gasket [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What is the newest gasket

The_Wraith
12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok looks like my 2004 GT is starting to leak coolant @ 70k+ miles... it lookes to just be leaking external right now...

So I guess I'm going to change the LIM gasket next week end... so where should I get the gasket from? Autozone/ Advanceauto parts or the GM dealer? And is this a whole kit, or do need to buy other gaskets as well to do this job? and is there any parts numbers? And what do I want to look for to make sure I get the newest gasket (revising) out there?

stewartfn18
12-31-2008, 06:15 PM
get the whole felpro kit from autozone. they are metal gaskets andthe best you can buy. its like 85 bucks for the whole set.

The_Wraith
12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
get the whole felpro kit from autozone. they are metal gaskets andthe best you can buy. its like 85 bucks for the whole set.

Ok, so it would be this one then? http://www.autozone.com/R,3219721/vehicleId,2915602/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,1123/partType,00526/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

And there's nothing else I would need beside oil and new coolant?

thanks again..

350rs
01-01-2009, 03:44 PM
thats the kit. get a bigger tube of RTV and a new thermostat. Might as well replace it while you there. check your belts and pulleys while youve got the thing torn apart. run cheap oil and a cheap filter for a few days then change it again with your better oil. dont be suprised if its still a bit nasty oil for a few more miles.

GA2000GTSpeed
01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
yah buy the manifold gasket set and valve cover gaskets. and have you ever looked into to doing this cause its prolly alot more work to do it then you think. it was when i did myn. you have to take off your alt, ps pump, coil packs, valve covers, rockers, push rods, fuel rail, just to name a few and i believe that there is a how to on here for it. and make sure u scrape off all the old rvt and replace it. and make sure u dont loose the o-ring on the fuel rail where u disconnect it at. youl have a nice leak...

gagt Mechanic
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM
also replace the lim bolts, the dealer kit comes with them, from napa and carquest they just put a bug warning sticker on the gaskets but you have to order the bolts seperate. also make sure it is the metal gasket, there is a silver plastic one, hard to tell from pictures.

stewartfn18
01-02-2009, 05:49 AM
new bolts are not 100% necesary and the fuel rail doesnt HAVE to come off, its actually a PITA to get it out of the LIM so dont even bother with that. i wouldnt say that this a hard replacement to do, just a decent amount of work involved.

Blight
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
You can do it all at home too with a simple set of tools.

The_Wraith
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Ok, so if I get the gasket at autozone (or is there some other place I should get it), I need to check to make sure it's all metal?

Does the dealer have this new gasket, and how much would it be there? (if anyone has gotten one there, the one at Autozone is about 90.00)

I was thinking of doing it this SAT in my brothers garage... I still need to get the gasket. (I just want to make sure I get the right stuff, don't want to do this again), do I need any sealer?

Mine's not leaking to bad, nothing ever on the drive way...not over heating, I just smell it sometimes, and I see a little orage wetness in the little valley below the t-stat housing... (if you go straight down from the t-stat housing... and go back a inch of so form where the tranny bolts to the block, that's where I see it)

Is there still a step by step on here? I tried searching but just found old links... I do have a haynes repair book.

Vegeta
01-07-2009, 05:33 PM
http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/intake-manifold-gasket-set/prod_118.html

There should be a walkthrough here somewhere.

AaronGTR
01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, so if I get the gasket at autozone (or is there some other place I should get it), I need to check to make sure it's all metal?

Does the dealer have this new gasket, and how much would it be there? (if anyone has gotten one there, the one at Autozone is about 90.00)

No, the dealership only carries the OEM gasket. The metal and rubber gasket is from fel-pro and is a replacement for the OEM gasket so a dealership wouldn't carry that. You have to get it from an autoparts store.

You'll need the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, a tube of RTV sealant, some red thread locker (high heat/strength) for the LIM bolts, and of course new coolant and oil. You should be able to leave the throttle body on the UIM so you won't need a gasket for that, and you can leave the fuel rail installed on the LIM so you only need to disconnect the fuel lines. People often cut the O-ring on the supply line (rear one) getting it out of the rail, so I highly suggest having a spare one handy or you'll have a fuel leak. Other than that, the most important tool to have is a torque wrench. It's very important that the LIM bolts be torqued in the correct pattern and to the correct torque spec! The specs in your haynes manual are probably out of date too because GM released a new procedure some time ago. It's been posted here numerous times before.

The_Wraith
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
so is the gasket from this place the fel-pro metal and rubber? (I mean is the LIM part all metal?)

becuase is looks like it's all metal... not sure how well that would seal.

http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/intake-.../prod_118.html

Vegeta
01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Its not felpro but its the same metal gasket that felpro uses. It has black rubber to seal and is the best design you will find.

djcrowd
01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
what is the lim

AaronGTR
01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
what is the lim

Lower Intake Manifold ;)

The_Wraith
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Well I got all my parts... going to do the dead tomorrow...

I got the fel-pro gasket, all metal... I also bought the new LIM bolts...

So should I add anything extra to the bolts? I think it they come with thered sealer on them already... there Fel-pro bolts btw..

The_Wraith
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Well I got the LIM replaced... so far it's looking good no leaks... I'm still keeping my eye on it..

I do have one problem... I broke my Cruis control.... well I broke the little plastic slip on the end of the cable that went on the TB.... So, I can I replace that?? it dosen't looke like you could put a new on on there since the end of the cable has a (not sure what you call it) stop on the end...