ignition coil pack resistance [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ignition coil pack resistance

silverbullet51
01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
What is the proper resistance reading for the ignition coil on the 3.4 V6? As in what is the acceptable range in ohms. I want to test my coil packs to make sure they are still okay. My car has trouble starting sometimes and seems to lack power since I first got it 2 years ago. I've done all the recommended maintainence and service intervals.

Malaclypse
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
What I usually do when measuring the resistance across the secondary side of coil packs is to compare the readings from all three.

They should all be pretty close in resistance. If you have one that is significantly higher or lower than the others you've found a problem.

However, since you're not getting misfires or anything like that I'd be more likely to suspect the fuel pressure regulator or injectors before anything else. I'm sure the coils will test out fine.

silverbullet51
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
What I usually do when measuring the resistance across the secondary side of coil packs is to compare the readings from all three.

They should all be pretty close in resistance. If you have one that is significantly higher or lower than the others you've found a problem.

However, since you're not getting misfires or anything like that I'd be more likely to suspect the fuel pressure regulator or injectors before anything else. I'm sure the coils will test out fine.

yep, coils are good. time for a fuel system cleaning. Not seafoam anymore, getting a pro job at dealership. I found one that doesn't **** me around.

mikeross
10-31-2009, 02:32 AM

Im getting misfires. Does this mean that I have bad ignition coil? What other things should I do first to confirm that it needs replacement or what.. Thanks a lot!

lastryghts
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
How old are your plugs and wires?

MMGT1
10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
5-7K ohms. Mine tested to around 6K when I looked at them a couple of weeks ago.

AaronGTR
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Im getting misfires. Does this mean that I have bad ignition coil? What other things should I do first to confirm that it needs replacement or what.. Thanks a lot!

Not necessarily. Could be several other things too. Old spark plugs, wire making bad contact, problem with the ignition module, etc. I'd check the plugs and wires first. Then check the coils next.

djm
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
check with tool scanner from misfires

mikeross
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM

skifreak122
11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Im getting misfires. Does this mean that I have bad ignition coil (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ignition_coil~pop.html)? What other things should I do first to confirm that it needs replacement or what.. Thanks a lot!

How old are your plugs and wires?

Not necessarily. Could be several other things too. Old spark plugs, wire making bad contact, problem with the ignition module, etc. I'd check the plugs and wires first. Then check the coils next.

Two people have already answered you.
If you're having a problem you should probably also do some research using the search button along with making your own thread instead of taking over somebody elses.

2kramairGT
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
What if one coil pack (happens to be an autozone duralast replaced about 3-4 years ago) reads 8.15k and the other two (both 10 year old originals) read 5.50k? Been having some misfiring but not throwing codes. Havent re-driven the car since just doing full plugs, wires, fuel filter tune up while I was replacing a stuck tstat.

The car has previously stalled out while driving 3-4 times and is difficult to restart. True cause may be fuel pump, relay, or ignition module.... but figured I'd check the coils for the small misfires.