scanner help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : scanner help

ga2001gt532
01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
i recently had the trac abs light deal which i knew was one of my bearings. so i went to my autoparts store hooked up a scanner, but it didn't show any codes for the bearing so i just bought one and luckly replaced the right bearing which was my right front one, but anyways the scanner couldn't complete the evap testing part. is that bad or is their something you have to do for it to complete that part.

dcb2001gt
01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Did you hit the erase function if you did then the mileage meter will be reset and you will need to drive about 150 miles for the I/M to say yes. The evap flag is tyhe last one to be set.

AaronGTR
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Were they looking for codes in the PCM or the BCM? Codes for the ABS are stored in the body control module, not the powertrain control module, so unless they had a tech2 or other type programmer capable of accessing the BCM, they wouldn't find anything. ;)

ga2001gt532
01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
oh yeah i don't know what type it was so that coud have been why it didn't show any codes

tenspeed
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
so i went to my autoparts store hooked up a scanner, but it didn't show any codes for the bearing so i just bought one and luckly replaced the right bearing which was my right front one.....

I plugged my new bearing into both sides and replaced the one that turned the dash lights off.

The free Autozone scanner only reads engine codes. If you don't have a SES light, there are no codes to read.