synthetic oil condensation... how much is normal? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil condensation... how much is normal?

cardude007617
01-12-2009, 12:44 AM
so this last time i changed from a semi synthetic blend of oil to a full synthetic and am noticing some changes in my car. one, it starts better in cold weather (good thing). BUT i'm noticing a LOT of build up of yellowish gunk under my oil cap and my PCV valve which is 2 weeks old is already sticking due to the build up. i asked my mechanic what the deal is and he said some is normal with syn oil and cold weather... and its prbly not helping my parents have to move my car every morning.

any thoughts? i can put some pictures up tomorrow after work.
thanks;crap

blondiez24gt
01-12-2009, 03:13 AM
That sounds like what the inside of My oil cap looked like when the lower intake manifold gasket was bad. It was the dexcool in there. It had a yellowish/orange gunky look to it. I've never seen synthetic oil do that.

Mike Jung
01-12-2009, 05:10 AM
The starting of your car every morning to move it is not helping.

GM Canada suggests that you drive the car at least 10-miles before turning off your car ideally.

It isn't surprising that you have condensation in your oil.
I heard it has been cold lately in WI.
Enjoy your Friday morning coming up lol. -10F/-23C is forecasted for you. I know I will be freezing my a$$ off driving to work that morning.

Have a read of: Condensation in Oil (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47664) including the links to BITOG forums.

KhellendrosxS
01-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Mine has been doing this every time the weather gets cold in my area. As long as the oil in the pan isnt changing into the milkshake the condensation shouldnt be too much of a concern. If it is getting bad it might be a good idea to take it for a drive to evaporate it off.

cardude007617
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
lol is there a topic mike jung hasnt brought up?
anyways here is more or less my daily schedule:
car gets moved in the morning...drive to work (8 miles away, mostly 40mph or faster)... then back home... then out to my gf's place thats about 10 miles as well.

you'd think it would get burnt off during that time though. so basically i have no reason to be worried at all right? i mean my coolant isnt dropping at all and its not showing up on the oil dipstick.

350rs
01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
na, dont worry about it unless your crankcase starts turning milky. I put brand spankin new mobile one in mine and it was like that on the PCV and oil fill cap within 3 days from it being cold. problem is my work is only about 4 or 5 mins away from my house and thats driving at 35. its lucky to see 175 degrees most days. i try to let it sit and warm up a bit before i go, but i can only wait so long and waste soo much gas ya know?