LIM Gasket Replaced Still Not Fixed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gasket Replaced Still Not Fixed

trhoten
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Hello

I have a 99 Grand Am Gt with the bad lim and had it towed to a repair shop that is AAA Approved on Friday. The car was running like crap and missing very badly with the SES light blinking non stop. I knew that the LIM was bad and I told the repair shop that and asked them to please check the engine before replacing the LIM because if there were anything else wrong then not to fix the LIM and I would just get it rebuilt. Anyhow I call them on Saturday and they told me they did a compression test and everything looks fine they had the top engine apart. Monday comes around and I get a call after they already put everything back together telling me that I have a bad head gasket now and its not something they could have forseen before without tearing the engine apart. However you could see white smoke coming out the tailpipes before they even touched it. I was forced to pay them $600 for the LIM job and my car runs no better or different then when it was towed to them. I did not even get out they driveway of the shop before having to add more coolant and barely made it home without it over heating. Im pretty pissed that I could have taken that $600 and put it towards a new engine. Is there anything that I can do to get some of the money back or just call it a loss and get the engine remanufactured? Now if I get my engine remanufactured will I have any other parts in the engine to worry about and having yet again waste money? What is all done when a engine is remanufactured? Please help Im at a lost right now ;crap

GrandAmMe
01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Take it back to them and demand a refund. There was no way they couldint of seen that the headgasket was bad because they said they did a compression check. Normally when a headgasket is bad the compression is lower than it should be. You also claim there was white exhaust coming out of the exhaust, that they could not miss unless they pushed it into the shop. You also may also need a new catalytic converter from all the nasty stuff being burnt off in the engine. Someone correct me if im wrong.

PhantomLover007
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Damn. That's focked up.

If they did start it up and the head had been cracked, they would be able to tell something was wrong by the way it acted when you gave it gas.

AaronGTR
01-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Sounds like a bad job done by the shop to me. It might not have even been the LIM gasket to begin with... if the head gasket was bad that would cause you to lose coolant (burning it, causing the white smoke), and would cause misfires and overheating, all of which would have set off the flashing MIL light on the dash. If they did a compression test they should have seen a cylinder down if the head gasket was bad. I'd go back there and raise hell!

btw, if it's just a head gasket you don't necessarily need a whole new motor. It really depends on how long you drove it like that and how seriously it over heated or if the oil and coolant were mixing together (if the LIM gasket was bad too) and for how long. Might just need new head gaskets. If the heads warped you could have them decked and they'll seal up again, or you could get new heads if you want.

trhoten
01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the replys ya it was pretty ****ty of them to take advantage of me. I know the LIM gasket was bad as I could see it leaking and they showed me the broken lim gaskets but like I said they should have been able to tell the head gasket was bad as well before even starting the LIM job. I have somebody who is going to replace the headgasket for me and not charge me anything unless it fixes the problem. I did not drive it more then 15-20 miles while it was miss firing and all and it never went over to the Red but it did start to go to like 260-280 degrees when I was stopped at a light but I put it in neutrel and gave it gas and it went back down to the middle so I dont know for sure if I could have cracked the head or not. So what is the worse case that Im looking at besides a blown headgasket? A cracked cylinder head? A cracked engine block?

ltpats
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replys ya it was pretty ****ty of them to take advantage of me. I know the LIM gasket was bad as I could see it leaking and they showed me the broken lim gaskets but like I said they should have been able to tell the head gasket was bad as well before even starting the LIM job. I have somebody who is going to replace the headgasket for me and not charge me anything unless it fixes the problem. I did not drive it more then 15-20 miles while it was miss firing and all and it never went over to the Red but it did start to go to like 260-280 degrees when I was stopped at a light but I put it in neutrel and gave it gas and it went back down to the middle so I dont know for sure if I could have cracked the head or not. So what is the worse case that Im looking at besides a blown headgasket? A cracked cylinder head? A cracked engine block?

The heads are going to have to come off to replace the head gaskets anyhow (obviously) the best thing to do is have the heads sent out and gone over, take a good look at the cylinder walls for any signs of abnormal scuffing since coolant in the oil will wash down the cylinder walls causing undo wear.
As for the first shop, I'd stop payment on the check (if you can) call the shop first explain the situation to them if they don't satisfy you then stop payment on the check.
There is no way a compression check and the fact that white smoke was coming out the tail pipe would not lead any real mechanic to believe there was a head gasket problem. The oil was probably milky too when they tore the top of the engine apart........Rookies !!!
Possible head cracked, not likely that the block is cracked
Report them to the BBB !!!

trhoten
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Well I called AAA since the shop is AAA Approved Auto Repair and they are the ones who called them to have my car towed and explained what happened and they even agreed with me about them not being able to tell that the headgasket was bad before doing the LIM job. They took down all the info and is supposed to have someone give me a call back so hopefully I can get some of my money back. I was just searching junk yards and can find a very low mileage 2005 engine for less then $1,000 but would I still have the LIM Gasket problem later down the line? Where the new gaskets used after 2003? I also made sure they did not refill dexcool into the car after the LIM job but not that it matters now anyways because I had to put more coolant in before I even pulled away from the shop. So if I get a 2005 low mileage engine from a junkyard and dont use Dexcool then I should not have the same Lim issue? Thanks for all your answers :)

ltpats
01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Well I called AAA since the shop is AAA Approved Auto Repair and they are the ones who called them to have my car towed and explained what happened and they even agreed with me about them not being able to tell that the headgasket was bad before doing the LIM job. They took down all the info and is supposed to have someone give me a call back so hopefully I can get some of my money back. I was just searching junk yards and can find a very low mileage 2005 engine for less then $1,000 but would I still have the LIM Gasket problem later down the line? Where the new gaskets used after 2003? I also made sure they did not refill dexcool into the car after the LIM job but not that it matters now anyways because I had to put more coolant in before I even pulled away from the shop. So if I get a 2005 low mileage engine from a junkyard and dont use Dexcool then I should not have the same Lim issue? Thanks for all your answers :)

From what I understand the LIM problem was corrected by GM late 2003 and newer, don't quote me on that though. I'm not sure what legal responsibility AAA has to you, go after the shop.......Just out of curiosity what did they charge you to not fix the car ?
P.S. Don't feel to bad everyone gets screwed one way or another.

trhoten
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Well I know AAA has no responsibilty for the shop screwing me over but I do want them o know how I was treated and who knows maybe other AAA memebers have made a compliant against the repair shop as well. The Total was $611 with a new belt put on but that was only $40 so they charge me $569 for the LIM job. I know the economy is bad and all but how long do they plan on staying in business if they rip customers off and that is $569 I could have used towards getting the engine remanufactured. That is why I told them to make sure the headgasket or anything else was not bad on the engine before replacing the lim. Now I found a engine shop that will remanufacture my engine and they use the latest FelPro gaskets for $2,000 plus tax. What all is involved in getting this done and will this take care of any engine issue I may have besides the blown headgasket? Thanks Again

ltpats
01-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Well I know AAA has no responsibilty for the shop screwing me over but I do want them o know how I was treated and who knows maybe other AAA memebers have made a compliant against the repair shop as well. The Total was $611 with a new belt put on but that was only $40 so they charge me $569 for the LIM job. I know the economy is bad and all but how long do they plan on staying in business if they rip customers off and that is $569 I could have used towards getting the engine remanufactured. That is why I told them to make sure the headgasket or anything else was not bad on the engine before replacing the lim. Now I found a engine shop that will remanufacture my engine and they use the latest FelPro gaskets for $2,000 plus tax. What all is involved in getting this done and will this take care of any engine issue I may have besides the blown headgasket? Thanks Again

You said you could get a low mileage 2005 for less than $1000. So the question is spend less than a thousand for a low mileage 2005 engine or spend $2000 on having yours rebuilt. Does the $2000 include taking your engine out of the car and reinstalling it? A fresh engine is nice but is only as good as the person rebuilding it. A complete rebuild would consist of tearing down the motor, boiling the block and heads, inspecting them for any cracks, reassembling it with all new gaskets, bearings, rings etc.