svs abs during very cold days [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : svs abs during very cold days

ga2001gt532
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
well today in minnesota it was around -25 plus windchill so around -35/40 and my svs abs trac light came on. i changed my right one bearing about a month ago do you think its the other one or is this a common problem when it gets this cold. This mourning i know that my bearings were pretty frozen because my car didn't want to move even after i let it warm up.

GrandAmMe
01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
same problem with mine a few weeks ago. It was very cold and heard a pop when i moved. When i turned off the car and then back on they went away.

ga2001gt532
01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah i tried but it didn't work but i only drive 10 miles to school. when i went to work it was fine till i got to work about 15miles plus the 10 miles from school and they turned on agian and also when i left. i hope i don't have too replace it i think its because every time i got in my car today it has been sitting for atleast 4 hours so they would freeze back up. those damn sensors are to sensetive

IanGT99
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Mine's doing that too. The low traction warning light comes on for two seconds, then the ABS light and the traction off light comes on. It's very annoying seeing that it's very cold and very snowy in western PA and traction control is nice to have. It did this last year too when it got cold, but I just had brand new brakes put on in September and all the lines, wires, and fluids were checked or changed out. Anyone have an answer for us???

ga2001gt532
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
its not related to your brakes at all its the wheel bearing where the abs sensor is but i don't get why it does it when its cold. i don't care much because 1 i hate the traction control because it has never helped me once so i turn it off every time i get in the car when its snowy and 2 i kind of like not having abs, can stop the car way faster if you know how to use it. i just don't like seeing lights on the dash

IanGT99
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
After doing a little more research, I found all this stuff out. It's been very snowy and VERY cold here in the last few days. We had a little snow on Tuesday. There was a lot of salt on the roads and it was really wet. I'm thinking the moisture and road salt wreaks havoc on those ABS sensors. The ABS light didn't go off today and it snowed a lot. However it wasn't wet cuz it was too cold for the salt to work. Therefore, I'm guessing it's a combination of the road salt, the wetness, and freezing temperatures cuz heavy rain in the warmer months has never caused the ABS light to go off. I guess I'll just be checking and cleaning the sensors and dealing with it.

A buddy of mine just got into an accident cuz of his ABS. He had to stop suddenly, hit the brakes, and the ABS pulsated and caused him to travel farther. He hit the back of a truck. No damage happened to the truck, but the front of his new Grand Cherokee was crushed.... $2300 in damage. Doesn't help that the crumple zones did what they were supposed to do. The front bumper, grill, and the hood have to be replaced.It just baffles me that a 5mph accident can be caused by systems that are supposed to help with safety and avoiding accidents.

ryanbgb22
01-15-2009, 06:55 PM
As someone already said, its likely a wheelhub that needs replacing.

stewartfn18
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
not necesarily the hub that went bad. being that the sensor and the hub are connected, if one goes out, they both have to be replaced. hence why itsd so expensive to do. im having the same issues as everyone else. very cold temps, and the same three lights are on. I however know that its not the hub, rather the sensor. The way i see it, all of us have two options here. talking to everyone that is having this issue, find out whether its the hub that is bad, or if its the sensor thats giving off bad readings. if its the latter, before you go spending at least 100 bucks for a new assembly, go to an auto parts store, pick up some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease and clean the sensor. see if that does the trick. ive been meaning to do this for a few weeks, but it has also been super cold here.

ga2001gt532
01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
why would you replace both of them when only one is bad

stewartfn18
01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
why would you replace both of them when only one is bad

because that is the way irt was designed from the factory.