Royal Purple Sludge [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple Sludge

Metallman56
01-14-2009, 11:47 PM
as some of you know i had my LIM gasket changed a few months ago. i was around during a lot of the work, and when my valve covers came off, sludge was there. it wasnt too bad, but it was there none the less.

royal purple claims you have 12 month, 12,000 mile protection. meaning you dont have to change your oil for a year. now i know what some of you are thinking, well when was your last oil change? it was july. i keep up on the filter as well. i use what Mike Jung recomends napa gold 1036 (oversized) and i even have a filter mag on it. i chaged the filter once in september, and the LIM was changed at the end of october.

this kinda worries me, cause that was one of the ways i justified spending $7+ on a quart of oil. granted i only went 6k miles between changes just to be safe. but this oil didnt have 5k miles on it. so now i'm debating if i should even go back to RP. i tried Amsoil once, and didnt notice a differnce, but i suppose it would be one of those things thats working but you cant see it. what i dont like about amsoil is price, and the fact that i cant just go to the store and buy it. i have to have it shipped, which is even more money.

i guess i'm at a crossroads. i thought RP was really good long lasting stuff, and i was really disapointed when i saw the sludge. the car has 90k miles on it, so i'm not going to a conventional.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Malaclypse
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Did you change the oil after having the LIM repair done? Its always necessary because there's junk from the gaskets and coolant that gets in the oil during that repair. That could have caused it if the oil wasn't changed immedeatly after the repair.

If that isn't the case, then consider Castrol Syntec 0w30. I used that in my Cobalt from 5k miles at OCIs of 10k. At 45k I had the valve cover off to replace the timing chain tensioner. Everything from the head to the cams was immaculately clean.

lvemy3100
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Did you change the oil after having the LIM repair done? Its always necessary because there's junk from the gaskets and coolant that gets in the oil during that repair. That could have caused it if the oil wasn't changed immedeatly after the repair.
If that isn't the case, then consider Castrol Syntec 0w30. I used that in my Cobalt from 5k miles at OCIs of 10k. At 45k I had the valve cover off to replace the timing chain tensioner. Everything from the head to the cams was immaculately clean.
x2

Metallman56
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

of course i did. this was before anything was changed. we were just pulling off the valve covers.

maybe i'll give castrol a try.

lone_wolf025
01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Unless you're always constantly doing nothing but short trips that's really kinda screwy. Still, for a synthetic to sludge after 6k miles? Something's not right...

KhellendrosxS
01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
From what Ive been told RP is a waste of money in a street driven vehicle. Note that its not a bad oil, just not really worth the cost when there are cheaper alternatives available.

cardude007617
01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
From what Ive been told RP is a waste of money in a street driven vehicle. Note that its not a bad oil, just not really worth the cost when there are cheaper alternatives available.

wasnt it said that RP is only good for turbo charged vehicles that are going to be torn down periodically or something?

KhellendrosxS
01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
wasnt it said that RP is only good for turbo charged vehicles that are going to be torn down periodically or something?

Thats what the guys at NAPA say to me. Without doing an oil analysis after every change theres really no way to tell for sure if its beneficial. However, I use a NAPA synthetic (in-law discount) and so far the car runs just fine. I do regular 3-5K mile changes and for what its worth the car still runs just a good as the day I bought it and I dont break the bank to do it.

Unless you plan to keep the car around and send in samples to test the oil is oil IMO. As long as you dont go past scheduled maintenance periods for oil changes and use a decent synthetic you should have nothing to worry about.

I know theres research out there saying this oil is better than this oil etc etc but I dont plan on keeping the car until it blows up and if it does it wont be because I used 'x' for oil and not 'y' because I change the oil before it has a chance to get ****ty.

cardude007617
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Unless you plan to keep the car around and send in samples to test the oil is oil IMO.

im sure other's will chime in about oil's are all different but as long as you're buying a decent brand, id say most are about the same. and since most of us aren't running custom uber modded motors, we wont see much of a difference anyway. i just check my dipstick from time to time and change it when it seems to need it...

The_Wraith
01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I use Mobil 1 in mine, I just did my LIM gasket last week @ 74k, pulled my covers off, very, very clean, just oil in there...

WidbyJ
01-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Mobile 1 in everything I own since it first came out. NEVER a problem of any sort, even on old v8s...

Metallman56
01-16-2009, 12:23 AM
one of the main reasons i bought RP was due to the fact that it reduces friction in the motor. less fricton mean better working parts, which means longer engine life.

SSRacer
01-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I've been using RP for years, changing about every 4K. Maybe I need to take a peek under my valve cover.

rocketfast123
01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Mobil 1 or exxon superflo 5w-30 with a oversize oil filter
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2871/0123081617xb9.jpg
Shot at 2008-03-20

GrandAmC9
01-18-2009, 08:30 AM
mobile 1 every 3-5k since i got it, everything inside was clean when i rebuilt my motor

mr03SCT
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
For amsoil I believe you can look on their site for a dealer located near you...i pick up my oil/filter from a guy who lives about 15mins away.....no shipping....you might want to check if any them are in your area.