Oil Leak from Oil Filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak from Oil Filter

Wutang1
01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Had a question well i have a Oil leak coming from my oil filter area, I changed my oil and oil filter and there is still a leak coming from that area i was wondering an ideals what it could be and what is the next step i should take. Thanks

SSRacer
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Did you make sure there was not an old filter gasket stuck to the block? I think double gasketing is the most common reason for an oil filter leak.

Wutang1
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Yea i am going to double check to make sure that isnt the problem thats what i hope it is though.

cardude007617
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
is the filter tight enough?
did you go with an el mega cheapo filter by chance?

Wutang1
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Yea went ahead and did a whole new oil change cuz it needed it from the oil lost. Everything is good now the oil filter was tight just of been bad and there wasnt a gasket left either. But everything is good now thanks guy for the help.

KhellendrosxS
01-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Make sure you dip your finger in your oil and wipe it on the O ring on the filter. This will help seal it and keep the gasket from sticking when you take it off. Also, dont use FRAM filters.

tenspeed
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Make sure you dip your finger in your oil and wipe it on the O ring on the filter. This will help seal it and keep the gasket from sticking when you take it off. Also, dont use FRAM filters.

I used to take the new filter and set it on top of the old filter to lube the gasket.

KhellendrosxS
01-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I used to take the new filter and set it on top of the old filter to lube the gasket.

I never thought of doing it that way. Good call.

PhantomLover007
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I remember my grandfather used to do that.

dysfunction
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Just curious, what's wrong with fram filters? I've used them for years without any problems......

KhellendrosxS
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Why FRAM filters dont cut it...

http://www.wolverine-synthetics.com/pages/amsoil_filter_comparison.html

also here,

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

The cardboard endcaps are the worst part of FRAM filter design. They are more prone to failure than the ones with metal end caps and could cause oil to circulate around the filter media (which is also more restrictive than most).