Car won't start and Very rough cold [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start and Very rough cold

nate2023
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey,

I have a '99 GAGT and it was starting to run really rough on cold starts then smooth out after about 1 minute and its fine after that each morning. But now it wont start at all, it cranks fine, seems to be getting fuel because theres fuel pressure last i checked.

Things i have replaced in search to fix this:
New coils, ICM, MAF, MAP, LIM, Thermostat, Plugs, Wires, Battery, Fuel filter

Im out of ideas and if i cant get it fixed soon its going bye bye cause i need a work vehicle :P

Thanks all!

Mike Jung
01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
What type of motor oil are you using ?

Have you tried an IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) based gasoline anti-freeze/water remover ?

At what type of temperature ranges are we talking about ?

My car started fine at -24C/-11F this past week (& I have started colder in the past); & is parked outside 24/7.
I have an Optima Red Top battery & use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (from Germany) synthetic motor oil.

nate2023
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
using 10w30 mobile 1 oil + moble 1 oil filter, its been about -15c and today is -2c. I put in antifreeze/water remover about a day ago.

It will crank and crank and fire every so often but not enough to keep going its done this before but started working suddenly.

PhantomLover007
01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Do you have a tuned PCM in it?

Mike Jung
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
using 10w30 mobile 1 oil + moble 1 oil filter, its been about -15c and today is -2c. I put in antifreeze/water remover about a day ago.

It will crank and crank and fire every so often but not enough to keep going its done this before but started working suddenly.
1st thing: Get rid of the Mobil 1 10W-30 motor oil !!!
& use the proper winter viscosity motor oil: Mobil 1 5W-30 (or for the extreme cold Mobil 1 0W-30).

:wtf were you thinking ?

nate2023
01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
1st thing: Get rid of the Mobil 1 10W-30 motor oil !!!
& use the proper winter viscosity motor oil: Mobil 1 5W-30 (or for the extreme cold Mobil 1 0W-30).

:wtf were you thinking ?

sorry i was searching through my papers and remembered that my parents took it in for an oil change while i was at work one day, it says it has 5w30 catrol syntek in it right now. I do not have a tuned pcm. and i have my stock airbox back in it.

Mike Jung
01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Your gasoline tank relatively full ?

ryanbgb22
01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Fuel filter / fuel pump?

nate2023
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Fuel filter / fuel pump?

Fuel Filter is new, i can hear the pump run just fine if its safe to say it works good just by sound. Right now i have 3/4 of a tank of gas with anti-freeze/water remover in it.

PhantomLover007
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Battery wires/connectors or starter?

nate2023
01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Cranks fast. I will check grounds tomorrow anyways, but i think they are fine.

ryanbgb22
01-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Ignition?

PhantomLover007
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
1. Battery discharged. Turn key to ON and turn on headlights or wipers*
2. Batt terminals loose or corroded
3. Fuel not reaching injector. Check for clogged fuel filter, lines or defective pump. Check tank vent lines too.*
4. Faulty ingnition coil
5. Low cylinder compression
6. Water in fuel
7. Dirty/clogged injectors
8. Faulty emissions/engine control systems*
9. Wet/damaged ignition components
10. Worn, faulty, incorrectly gapped plugs*
11. Broken, loose disconnected wires at ignition circuit
12. " " in ignition coils or faulty coils
13. Timing chain failure or affecting valve timing.
14. Intake manifold vacuum leak. Check nuts/bolts and all hose connections*

*= Same as for cold start problems

Haughee
01-18-2009, 08:59 PM
My Grand Am had the same problem starting the the bitter cold lately. I know mine has a vacuum leak, and that is what was causing it to have problems starting. Listen for a whistling noise or some kind of wooshing. Also keeping the fuel tank relatively full helps as well.

nate2023
01-18-2009, 09:34 PM
well, its whistiles bad from the intake when it does the rough and misfiring when it starts.. but it goes away after about 1 minutes and runs fine but now it wont start at all hasent started for me in 4-5 days now :\ might parts it out or sell it.

gagt Mechanic
01-18-2009, 11:27 PM
is your check eng light on? one of the few reasons that your car will not start and not turn on a ses light is passlock, dose your security light stay on when you try to start it? given what you replaced you need to check if you have fuel and spark. go to the ful rail service port on the pass side. it should have a plastic cap on it, it looks like a valve stem.push in the cire gently and have some one turn the key to on, you should get a spray of gas out. to check ignition, take off one of the front spark plug wires and put the tip by the exhaust manifold, have some one crank it, you should see a spark.

Haughee
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Sounds exactly like mine. When it won't start I have to floor the throttle to choke it out. Then it barely starts and makes the whistle but after it runs for about 30 secs its fine. It's a very strange thing that happens, and now that its not as cold the starts are getting easier.

nate2023
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
is your check eng light on? one of the few reasons that your car will not start and not turn on a ses light is passlock, dose your security light stay on when you try to start it? given what you replaced you need to check if you have fuel and spark. go to the ful rail service port on the pass side. it should have a plastic cap on it, it looks like a valve stem.push in the cire gently and have some one turn the key to on, you should get a spray of gas out. to check ignition, take off one of the front spark plug wires and put the tip by the exhaust manifold, have some one crank it, you should see a spark.

i get fuel but i used a pressure gauge, i dont like gas spraying out, lol. But the starting problem has been going on well before i change the LIM a long while back and changing the LIM didnt do much and it still eats antifreeze, im think the head gasket is toast, just didnt want to bite the bullet. 124k miles and most of its life it hasent been taken care of till i bought it, probably could be. maybe while im doing the heads ill get some performance stuff! Thanks everyone.