2001 heater core replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2001 heater core replacement

fillet1970
01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has replaced a heater core in a 00/01 GAGT and share their experience.

On my way home on Friday, it was like a "up in Smoke" scene....it started to smell like coolant and the windows fogged up. When I got home, there was a pool of coolant behind the passenger front wheel (usually the spot where water drips out when the A/C is on).

I haven't had the chance to have a good look, but the passenger carpet is not drenched, but moist....is it possible my coolant exited from my heater core out through the evaporator hose? Pump is new, no leaks by the hoses, no leaks from the typical lim spots or block...pretty much no leaks in the engine compartment.

Until I find a copy of a Haynes manual or a shop manual for cheap, your input is much appreciated.

gagt Mechanic
01-18-2009, 11:30 PM
you got to remove the dash, your call, ive done one took about three hours, you also need to evac your a/c.

fillet1970
01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Curious though, why would i have to discharge and recover the refrigerant? Is it important to do this procedure 1st before removing the heater core?

gagt Mechanic
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
yea, the evaperator is in the same unit with the heater core. so when you remove the unit to replace the heater core, you are thaking the evaperator out also.

fillet1970
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. The situation is, my car is sitting on the driveway. Do I need someone (ie licensed tech) to discharge and recover the coolant?