emissions i/m monitors ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : emissions i/m monitors ?

XtremeGaGt00
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
ive got a 160 stat in the g.a., im having a hard time ith my im monitors passing...now theyre all failing...would anyone happen to know if maybe the 160 stat has anything to o with the engine not gettin up to proper temp and not allowing the specific tests to run?

Mike Jung
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Which monitors are not ready/done ?

XtremeGaGt00
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
well as of my last test...egr flow is not ready...(obvious reasons)...i got that off the car...h02 shows not ready, evap control is no ready, catalytic conv. effic. not ready...this ones weird, i have a cat on and it passed that im monitord the first 2 times i went and the third time it didnt pass.....only one passing is oxygen sensor...all i need is 3 to pass out of 5

AaronGTR
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Cold engine temps could affect some of those. Even if the T-stat isn't the culprit, I'd still change it. 160 is WAY colder than you need and isn't doing you any good anyway. A 180 would be plenty and you probably don't even need that. A drilled stock 195 T-stat is really all most people need.

lone_wolf025
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
If you still have your EGR, plug it in. I've heard that sometimes its enough to make the computer put up a green flag even if the code is deleted.

XtremeGaGt00
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
ive got the 160 stat in because on days like yest. for instance it was about 25 degress last night it stil got up to about 190, the turbo makes it run so hot, so in summer time itll get up to 215 easy and stay there... ill probably try gettin a 180 in there....as for the egr, i do have it just plugged in and sitting there ATM but its still showing a failure..maybe because i have it showing no reporting via my powrtuner?

lone_wolf025
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
ive got the 160 stat in because on days like yest. for instance it was about 25 degress last night it stil got up to about 190, the turbo makes it run so hot, so in summer time itll get up to 215 easy and stay there... ill probably try gettin a 180 in there....as for the egr, i do have it just plugged in and sitting there ATM but its still showing a failure..maybe because i have it showing no reporting via my powrtuner?

IIRC you can adjust the parameters for the egr to open in the first place. Try tweaking that up to some number it'll never see and see what happens.

XtremeGaGt00
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
ill havta try that...and try messing with my powrtuner with the other things too...i kno ive got some stuff that is non reporting...maybe ill just turn em all back on and see what i get...dosent help tat the cars been doing nothing but sitting and i got a dead optima batt. wont even hold a charge...

AaronGTR
01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, if you don't have the EGR actually hooked to the manifold, besides disabling the codes and reporting for the EGR, you need to change when it's supposed to be operating so that the pcm isn't expecting it to be working and can adjust. Even if you turn the codes off for something, if it's still there the pcm will still use it. ;) Go into accessories --> EGR --> EGR air temp disable , and set the value to the max of 140. Basically what this does is disable operation of the EGR valve anytime the air temp is under 140 degrees, which is pretty much always. :)

XtremeGaGt00
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
ha, good lil trick there, ill havta do that, theres one monitor that will hopefully be working. in IL you only need 3 monitors out of 5 to pass, the only thing though about the egr, wouldnt it set a ses because i thought the map sensor sensed when the egr was functioning based on the barometric pressure differences when the egr opens and closes? that make sense?

lone_wolf025
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
ha, good lil trick there, ill havta do that, theres one monitor that will hopefully be working. in IL you only need 3 monitors out of 5 to pass, the only thing though about the egr, wouldnt it set a ses because i thought the map sensor sensed when the egr was functioning based on the barometric pressure differences when the egr opens and closes? that make sense?

I'm sure it checks to see if the sensor is operating. The point to remember of course is that it would check for egr when the egr is commanded open. If the right parameters are never met then it'll never look to open and never check to see if its open.

XtremeGaGt00
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
yea...makes sense..just been so discouraged with this car dont even know what to do anymore

gagt Mechanic
01-22-2009, 11:08 PM
you need to get your cat mon set. the low temp can play an issue, esp with evap, I would try the 180. you can do a rear o2 simulator that will set you rear o2 mon/cat mon with no issue, if they are there or not.

XtremeGaGt00
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
so i got the bug tonight and decided to fight the cold....well its 36 degrees and thats nice to me compared to what ive had to work in...i went and re-enabled all the dtc's i had disabled..except my po300 random multiples..because that is just not goin away with my cam...i had to recharge my batt. was deader then a doorknob...gotta drive the beast..on a suspended plate...(eek)...so i can get the monitors to reset and get a temp. lic. plate sticker so i can go to emissions...keep you updated