clip broken on window side [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : clip broken on window side

sleighbor
01-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Hey guys,

My window fell into the door the other night and I found about 100 posts on this site about the window regulator problem. Sast night I pulled out the old window regulator which was broken. But I also found that on the glass one side had the bolt attached but the other side seems to be broken. No bolt or hole for any bolt.

Can I replace the plastic piece that is attached to the window or so I need to get a new window???

Thank you,
Kevin

lone_wolf025
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

My window fell into the door the other night and I found about 100 posts on this site about the window regulator problem. Sast night I pulled out the old window regulator which was broken. But I also found that on the glass one side had the bolt attached but the other side seems to be broken. No bolt or hole for any bolt.

Can I replace the plastic piece that is attached to the window or so I need to get a new window???

Thank you,
Kevin

That plastic piece is called the sash clip. Most shops will fix it without replacing the glass. So yes it can be fixed. I would not recommend doing it yourself as I've been there and done that (as many of the midwest guys might remember) and I never had any luck getting the new clip to stay mounted on the glass for more than a couple weeks. Plus its a huge pain in the rear getting the old one off.

sleighbor
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll try getting the old one off and replacing it. If I can't well then I have glass insurance so maybe I'll just get them to cover it.

Thanks,
Kevin

lone_wolf025
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll try getting the old one off and replacing it. If I can't well then I have glass insurance so maybe I'll just get them to cover it.

Thanks,
Kevin

I wouldn't recommend doing that. The clips are epoxied onto the glass. First you have to get a new clip from the dealer, then you have to find the 2 part epoxy, then you have to get a torch and heat up the old clip til the epoxy melts enough for you to remove it without cracking the glass itself. Then you have to clean everything up, apply the epoxy correctly and let it set for 24hrs. Believe me, you will be MUCH better off paying someone else to do it.