turbo question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : turbo question

dmalle02
01-31-2009, 11:30 AM
I was thinking about purchasing a garret turbo t3/t4 out of a 1995 SAAB. it comes with intercooler and oil feed for around 200 dollars. i was wondering if anyone knows if this turbo would work on my 3.4 aswel as if this is an alright deal anyu help would be awesome thanks!

boost21
01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
you need more information like the a/r specs and a turbo that old will certainly need to be rebuilt. Probably better off getting something new.

AaronGTR
02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
If it's for a saab then it's probably sized for a 4cyl engine and my first guess is that it would be too small for a 3.4l V6. And you'd still have to fab up manifolds and everything. I also say you'd be better off just getting a new properly sized turbo that you know the condition of. If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of a custom turbo setup, don't cheap out on the turbo. It's the most important part!

ridefas78
02-02-2009, 11:00 AM
like they said maybe the other parts might work ie intercooler, lines and all that but as for the turbo i would go out and get a brandnew one

zukiracer19
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
if lines are long enough and right size, than id say yeah, turbo probably too small and intercooler may work

ridefas78
02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
yes got a point there...i myself would want to buy all new parts so you wont have to worry about anything

03Grandam
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't do anything to your engine like that unless you beef up the engine parts. I had a friend buy a supercharger and didnt bother to beef up the bottom end, needless to say a week later he spun a bearing and took out a rod. THe 3400 wasn't designed for something like that.

zukiracer19
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't do anything to your engine like that unless you beef up the engine parts. I had a friend buy a supercharger and didnt bother to beef up the bottom end, needless to say a week later he spun a bearing and took out a rod. THe 3400 wasn't designed for something like that.

not true bottom end is pretty decent in 3400s, onlything that really BLOWS is the stock pistons, stock cam is decent for stock...

AaronGTR
02-14-2009, 06:23 AM

Not true at all. I've been running a supercharger for almost 6 years on a stock bottom end. More than likely your friends engine had "issues" before he even added the SC. Probably high miles and not using good oil or something along those lines. Also what SC did he buy? Neither the RSM or magnacharger come with any programming so you need to tune it yourself. The RSM kit eliminates the MAF sensor also which is a major no-no and the kit needs to be modified to use the MAF sensor. If he was running the kit without the MAF he probably got major detonation which could have damaged the rod bearings on a tired engine. 3400's are actually pretty strong and can take some abuse if tuned properly. It was probably his own fault.

GA2000GTSpeed
02-14-2009, 12:37 PM
if anything goes boom when u put a supercharger on its the trans...
and as for the turbo... if your going through all that trouble you should prolly buy new stuff. some of that stuff you might be able to use. but its like buying an engine outta the junkyard, you might be able to use the whole thing or might be able to just use parts from in. you never know how long its gonna last