transmission fit [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission fit

BOOTMASTER
02-04-2009, 01:48 PM
will a tranny out of an 00/01 alero or ga/se fit my 02gt? i know first gear is different, but is that all? and will it cause problems, or will it just bolt in and work with a taller first gear? ANY help from one of the experts would be appreciated

thanks

b

mfuller
02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
A tranny from any year V6-powered Alero or Grand Am will bolt right up, but your computer will need to be re-programmed for the higher final-drive ratio (your MIL will come on and you'll throw an "improper gear ratio" code). Advise that you just try to find another GT tranny so you don't need to mess with the PCM.

ridefas78
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
if it changes the final drive will it be better for highway mpg?

BOOTMASTER
02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
can i just get that fixed with a hopped-up pcm(i want one)? just let them know when they program it? and would it change the mpg worth anything? experts or anyone who has done this, please chime in... thanx to those who have already:) help is appreciated

AaronGTR
02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
will a tranny out of an 00/01 alero or ga/se fit my 02gt? i know first gear is different, but is that all? and will it cause problems, or will it just bolt in and work with a taller first gear? ANY help from one of the experts would be appreciated

thanks

b

First gear is not different. All the gear ratios are the same, it's the final drive that is different. And yes, pcm tuning can be done to make a SE/alero trans work in your car... but why would you want to? The gear ratio in the GT is better for acceleration.

BOOTMASTER
02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
cause i need to get one on the cheap, and ebay only has them from se's and alero's.... anyone know what all is needed and how hard it is to rebuild one of these for power? i'm probably goin to get a used one and then try to rebuild the one i have.... thanks for the info

AaronGTR
02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, look in the performance FAQ in the "all-go" section. All the info you need for building a 4T45E is in there. :thumbs:

BOOTMASTER
02-08-2009, 07:14 PM
will any 99-05 gt tranny bolt up and work without problems? or would there be a fit or programming issue? i am looking at a 00 one from a local junkyard(cheap), just to get it running until i can get a built one done up.... i saw this was answered above, but i want to be sure.... thanks guys

AaronGTR
02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Yes, any 99-05 4T45E trans will bolt into your car without any modification or programming needed. If you use a 4T45E from an SE or alero, you will need the pcm programmed to accommodate the different final drive ratio.