Changing Pads & Rotors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing Pads & Rotors

darkshines
02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Is there a how-to for this? I just picked up a set of rotors and pads and am hoping to change them tomorrow.

Yes, I searched.

PhantomLover007
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Get you a Chilton's or Haynes manual. It helps out ALOT..

lone_wolf025
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
If you've never done a brake job before maybe its best you not do it now. If you don't care and want to do it anyways its fairly simple, but has a lot of room to mess up. Wheels come off. Undo the bolts on the caliper. Remove caliper (don't let it hang unsupported). IIRC you will also need to remove the mounting bracket for the caliper from the steering knuckle. Remove rotor. Place new rotor on. Grab the caliper. Remove the pad not sitting on the piston. Using a C clamp or other suitable compression device, press against the pad in the piston until its bottomed out. Remove remaining old pad. Put in new pads. Reattach mounting bracket. Reattach caliper.

Tools you will need: A set of metric sized short sockets (I don't remember the bolt sizes) ideally in 1/2" drive. A decently sized 1/2" drive ratchet. Brake cleaner (to wipe rotor when all is done). A hammer (to possibly knock off rotor). A torque wrench (To properly re-torque to spec parts removed)

darkshines
02-04-2009, 09:41 PM
If you've never done a brake job before maybe its best you not do it now. If you don't care and want to do it anyways its fairly simple, but has a lot of room to mess up. Wheels come off. Undo the bolts on the caliper. Remove caliper (don't let it hang unsupported). IIRC you will also need to remove the mounting bracket for the caliper from the steering knuckle. Remove rotor. Place new rotor on. Grab the caliper. Remove the pad not sitting on the piston. Using a C clamp or other suitable compression device, press against the pad in the piston until its bottomed out. Remove remaining old pad. Put in new pads. Reattach mounting bracket. Reattach caliper.

Tools you will need: A set of metric sized short sockets (I don't remember the bolt sizes) ideally in 1/2" drive. A decently sized 1/2" drive ratchet. Brake cleaner (to wipe rotor when all is done). A hammer (to possibly knock off rotor). A torque wrench (To properly re-torque to spec parts removed)

Well, my experience consists of replacing wheels, some minor engine work, and extensive car wash experience. I also have a lot of motivation to learn more about cars, and save myself a lot of labor costs while I'm at it.:)

I figure now is as good a time as any to learn how to change my brakes. I need lube for the brake shims, right? I've read about that hear and there.

BOOTMASTER
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
don't really need any shim lube, i've never used it.... and oil can be bad to have around breaks.... otherwise, follow the instructions above and you should be ok, just make sure to watch which pad is the front(outside) one and the back(inside) and don't get them mixed up when putting the new ones in... also when you compress the caliper, make sure to do it kinda slow, say a half turn on the c-clamp at a time, your feel the pressure go down, and then turn it more, just don't keep turning and turning without letting the pressure in the caliper bleed back down.....

good luck, though you should'nt need it

rocketfast123
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I know its a grand prix, but its the same
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/powerslot.html

darkshines
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I know its a grand prix, but its the same
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/powerslot.html

Thank you! Pictures!

:)

darkshines
02-06-2009, 03:00 AM
I DID IT!

I'm going to do the rears tomorrow, so when I do, I figure I'll make a how-to.

One thing that was irritating; the caliper bracket bolts were torqued wayyy higher than 137 ft/lbs. Jesus thank god for breaker bars and penetrating fluids.

Almost thought I'd have to borrow my friend's acetylene torch.

2000 GT Coupe
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM
I DID IT!

One thing that was irritating; the caliper bracket bolts were torqued wayyy higher than 137 ft/lbs. Jesus thank god for breaker bars and penetrating fluids.

That is typical they get vibrated and rusted on over time.

03Grandam
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Real shame you didn't see this site. I bought myself a set of cross-drilled and slotted rotors with the silver zinc plating about 4 years ago with semi-metallic pads and I can lay the brakes on at 130 and hold them till the car comes to a complete stop with the abs controlling wheel lock up the whole time.

Bet you can't do that with standard rotors. :-)

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=2670&vmake=3089&vmodel=3404&vyear=9184&vdetail=42800&cPath=2670_3089_3404_9184_42800_74103&dv=0408&ad=google.shopping

lone_wolf025
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I DID IT!

Hah hah yea those are always tough to mess with. Course 137ft/lbs on its own is a pretty significant number. Just torquing lugs to 100ft/lbs requires a bit of effort.

darkshines
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Real shame you didn't see this site. I bought myself a set of cross-drilled and slotted rotors with the silver zinc plating about 4 years ago with semi-metallic pads and I can lay the brakes on at 130 and hold them till the car comes to a complete stop with the abs controlling wheel lock up the whole time.

Bet you can't do that with standard rotors. :-)

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=2670&vmake=3089&vmodel=3404&vyear=9184&vdetail=42800&cPath=2670_3089_3404_9184_42800_74103&dv=0408&ad=google.shopping

I tend to stay away from drilled due to cracks, and I don't see enough of a benefit from slotted rotors to offset the noise and decreased pad life.