new struts or bearing plates? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new struts or bearing plates?

ga2001gt532
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if i need to get knew front struts or the bearing plates because when i take a hard right and then drive straight my car will try to pull right and the same thing happens if i turn left hard. it seems like it is getting worse since its getting warmer out so i don't know what it is.

tenspeed
02-10-2009, 04:37 PM
My car was pulling to the left as you describe. If I stopped and turned the wheels to the far right, it would steer normally.

I put some oil on the rubber donut at the top of the strut tower. There are small channels at the top of the donut and I squirted oil in each. It stopped pulling for about a year.

ga2001gt532
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
yeah, so it has to be the bearing plate or what ever it is, so what type of oil did you use, just normal engine oil or like a spray can type.

tenspeed
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
yeah, so it has to be the bearing plate or what ever it is, so what type of oil did you use, just normal engine oil or like a spray can type.

I used regular HD30 like you put in a lawn mower. WD40 would be too thin, it wouldn't last long. One person used chain lube with the spray nozzle. I think anything you can get in there will help.

ga2001gt532
02-18-2009, 09:17 PM
after i did the suggested oil technique above it actualy did not work and it still does it so what else could it be, or what do i need to replace.

lone_wolf025
02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
When you have pulling its a good idea to have the rest of the suspension checked out. I'm thinking you might have a bad tierod end. If you can, jack up the front end of the car, put your hands at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and do what's called a "wobble check" If any side "wobbles" when you do that, the tierod is bad. If it feels tight and only moves back and forth with the play of the steering that's not the problem.

If can't jack up the car, I'd say bring it to a mechanic and have them inspect the front end.

ga2001gt532
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
oh yeah i never thought about that time to jack the car up agian.

tenspeed
02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
oh yeah i never thought about that time to jack the car up agian.

Try oiling the mounts and see if it helps.