Dim Headlights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dim Headlights

DefaZe
02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Okay so I got Nokya Arctic White 100/80W bulbs and I put them in with a new wiring harness. All the wiring looks fine I checked most of it and it looks completely fine and nothing looks burned anywhere. They're probably not aimed right because when I'm driving I don't get much light, and when I compare them to other car's stock lights, mine seem dim. Even if I get out of the car and just stare at the lights they don't seem bright. I'll take pictures tomorrow, I don't know how accurate they will come out, but w/e. So are these bulbs just that frickin crappy, or are they not getting enough power somehow, or what's going on?? I also took that little thing out to see what it would do. I don't know the name of it, but it's a little aluminum ring that goes in the bulb slot and goes like maybe an inch or so into the headlight. Is it even supposed to be there? Anyways, yea please help me out it's frickin annoying trying to navigate Alaskan roads without good lights.

DefaZe
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
So I was driving home and I didn't have those little aluminum things in like I mentioned, and it seems like I have more light now or something, either that or when I fiddled with the alignment it helped. And I have come to the conclusion more and more that I think about it that those things are either there to deflect light (unlikely) or to act as an adjacent heat spreader to wick the heat off the bulb. /rant

DefaZe
02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
bump

DefaZe
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
k fixed the dim problem... but..

I don't know the name of it, but it's a little aluminum ring that goes in the bulb slot and goes like maybe an inch or so into the headlight. Is it even supposed to be there?

what's it there for? Do I need it? As of right now im driving without it but I don't know if it improves my light output with it on, or it grabs heat off my bulbs or what.. someone has to know

dmalle02
02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
im not really getting which part u are referring too.. u got piic?

2000 GT Coupe
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
k fixed the dim problem... but..

what's it there for? Do I need it? As of right now im driving without it but I don't know if it improves my light output with it on, or it grabs heat off my bulbs or what.. someone has to know

What was the fix? If anyone else has the problem might be nice to know.

DefaZe
02-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Well when I was checking all my wiring because I had a fuse blow for my interior lights, I found 2 wires from my left 194 blinker had crossed, and apparently somehow they were reducing power to my main beams. Not really a skillful fix more of a luck thing :/

And yea I'll take a picture tomorrow they're sitting at my uncle's shop.

tenspeed
02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I also took that little thing out to see what it would do. I don't know the name of it, but it's a little aluminum ring that goes in the bulb slot and goes like maybe an inch or so into the headlight. Is it even supposed to be there?

That black tube over the bulb is supposed to be there. It reduces the light to the left when on low beam so you don't blind on coming cars.

2000 GT Coupe
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
That black tube over the bulb is supposed to be there. It reduces the light to the left when on low beam so you don't blind on coming cars.

on my car that thing is in the Right side headlight, would not make a difference to other drivers.

DefaZe
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Well I have it on both sides. And I was looking at other cars when I was walking through a parking lot, and all cars have some sort of shielding surround it. I'm going home and I'll get a pic up within a few hours if there's still any confusion on what I'm talking about.

tenspeed
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
on my car that thing is in the Right side headlight, would not make a difference to other drivers.

That thing is in both headlights. When a car is coming at me, I see both headlights. If the shades are removed, I will see glare from both headlights.

DefaZe
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay gotcha so all I'm doing by leaving them out is being inconsiderate to other drivers?? :p

Seems to me like I get better light output without them too fyi.

Molson
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah, its blinding other drivers. Blind the one thats drunk, or exhausted and he'll fix it for you by driving right towards the headlights.

DefaZe
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Yea umm.. good point I'm gonna go put them back on.