quick tranny upgrade? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : quick tranny upgrade?

BOOTMASTER
02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
in the next week or two, i'm going to be changing the tranny on my 02gt... while i have the new(used,32k) one out, is there anything that would be relatively simple to do to upgrade it? i've changed teh tranny before, so i'm no stranger to mechanical stuff, but transmissions insides are unknown territory for me...

any ideas that don't involve "read the how to beef one up section" (i read it) would be appreciated :)

also, not looking to get to deep on this one...

AaronGTR
02-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Nope, there is nothing you can do to improve it without getting into the internals. The best thing to do if you're just looking for improved durability would be to get an '03+ transmission. GM made several improvements over the years with the last major ones being in '03. Things like stronger thrust bearings and pump shaft bearing etc etc... longer life parts. Of course none of those will help it handle more HP. You have to get into the internals to do that.

GA2000GTSpeed
02-14-2009, 01:21 PM
yep yep. all that you can really do is paint it... lol
the easiest thing to do i think would be to put in a shift kit... you dont have to get to deep into the trans but still have to take it apart some... if your just doing like a cat back and intake, the stock trans is fine. if you get into major engine mods or you go and slap a turbo or supercharger on it. i didnt rip mine apart till i put my supercharger on it with like 130000 miles on it. and the clutchs burned up so fast it just tore ahe inside of my trans.

AaronGTR
02-15-2009, 10:44 AM
yep yep. all that you can really do is paint it... lol
the easiest thing to do i think would be to put in a shift kit...

Uh, no one makes a shift kit for this trans. ;)

GA2000GTSpeed
02-16-2009, 12:48 AM
really??? hmm well i was told that the shop that my dad had me take it to cause he knew the guy... he siad they put a shift kit and better cluthes... hmm. and it was on the bill. and it does shift differnt...