New info on my still early locking torque converter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New info on my still early locking torque converter

bobs02se
02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I have noticed now that once my ecotec hits fourth then locks up at 35 MPH, and the RPM are down to about 1400, I can be giving it a steady pedal, even though I am not speeding up since there is no power available. As soon as I let off the pedal, the lockup action or whatever is the issue stops, and the RPM actually increase about 200. All I do is let off the gas, and the rpm go up, since there is no drag on the engine. Does that help any? It only does this warmed up. It does it in third gear. Mileage is down some too.

Malaclypse
02-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Sounds like normal, conservative programming to me. Put the foot down further and that won't happen.

Its like trying to find the sweet spot where converter lockup is delayed as long as possible. Sometimes you have to modulate the throttle to keep it from happening.

Example: Take off is 15% or so, after a shift to 2nd, go to 25 - 30% throttle, third gear, 30% or slightly higher. This always kept the converter from unwanted lockup in my Monte Carlo.

bobs02se
02-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is what I am having to do now to keep it from pulling the engine down so low. But three months ago it would not ever lockup when I was driving around town, only of the highway(65mph) I was always driving forty and the RPM's never dropped. I wonder if the speed sensor is going crazy?