Couple of questions - Vibration, loose feeling. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions - Vibration, loose feeling.

RubberBand
02-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I have an '04 GrandAm GT and it is the first car that I've owned. I bought it recently w/ 24,000 miles on it. Previously I was driving my grandmother's Lincoln Towncar.

Anyway, I've noticed a few things while driving around.

I'm randomly hearing the turn signal click when I'm just driving along or even stopped. Also, I know there's probably nothing technical about it, but there's a very annoying squeak coming from the cruise control panel... if I apply pressure, the squeaking stops, but I can't rightly drive around with my hand pressed up against it.

I'm hearing wind (though I can't feel any) coming in from the rear passenger window. I've checked the lining around all the windows and it seems to be in tact (no cracks, etc).

I feel bumps in the road ... basically a vibration while driving (the only time I barely notice it is on a freshly paved road). I can't tell if this is normal or if I was just too accustomed to the Lincoln's 'smoothness' while driving (my parents suggested that). There's a loose feeling in the steering wheel during the vibration as well.

Also, I get a small vibration when I brake. This only happens if I brake normally. If I have to brake quickly, I don't feel any vibration.

Some of these things may just be me being overly critical of a used car, and maybe I'd be better off just taking it to CarMax and telling them all this to see what they can do (it's under warranty w/ them still). I just thought it may be better if I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about when I call them. ;crap

Rich
02-18-2009, 03:24 AM
turn signal issue:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126

i think your parents are right about the bumps in the road. the GA is more performance oriented then the town car.

it sounds like things are alright with your car. at least you dont have some of the more major issues that most people here have dealt with (warped rotors, power window issues etc.) the turn signal thing is pretty common.

if its really bothering you id take it in since youre still under warranty.

cardude007617
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
tires could be out of balance or the car could be out of alignment which would cause the vibration

RubberBand
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I should be able to clean the signal switch myself.

And I didn't mention that the vibration is also coming from the steering wheel a bit.

I'll just set up an appointment w/ the Carmax people and let them check the alignment, etc.