paint question for replacement door handle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : paint question for replacement door handle

gainatl
02-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I am getting a replacement door handle to replace one broken from a break-in. (appropriately named, eh)

The replacement part is unpainted.

Should I take this to MAACO or paint it myself?

I don't mind paying to get it painted at MAACO, but anything more than $50 and I may want to consider other options.

I want it painted silver to match the OEM part. (nothing custom)

My questions are:

Is it as easy to paint as it seams? (i.e. takes about 30 seconds since the part is not yet installed).

What should I expect to be charged for this from MAACO or a body shop?

DefaZe
02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
A door handle seems like something really easy to do yourself. But If you have any friends or friends of friends who work in autobody shops, just ask them if they ever have some free time if they can just do your handle for ya for like 20 bucks or so.. idk.. just ranting

ga2001gt532
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
my door handle started chipping and fading to a yellow so i scrapped her clean and used normal white spray paint since my car is white and you cant even tell a differnece between the handle and the car, but you have silver and that might be harder to match

gainatl
02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to bring it to a body shop that I have used before and just offer them $20....I called MAACO and they didn't even want the business... they told me a minimum of $100.

DefaZe
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Yea it's kind of something that it's not worth buying the paint and mixing it for. You just gotta find someone with extra silver just laying around.