high rpm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : high rpm

Mattz
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
my car seem to have a high rpm when it starts and when its in drive, what is this caused by? even when iam on the brake I can feel it trying to creep if i dont have my foot pushed all the way down

rocketfast123
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
what are the RPMs at idle and in drive. Any SES lights on?

PhantomLover007
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Do you have a tuned PCM and a TPS sensor hooked up to the car. I had an issue like this before. Disconnected the TPS and it was fine.

Mattz
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
no tuned oc or tps... but where the idle screw is it looks like somone poured somekinda glue? hard claear substance in there kinda strange just seen that and I have owned my car for 3 years now..

timka86
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
There's no idle screw on the GA's TB. It's electronically controlled. you must have a vacuum leak.

Mattyj724
02-19-2009, 03:15 PM
where are the vacuum lines? i dont even know what they look like can someone post a pic?

ga2001gt532
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
[but where the idle screw is it looks like somone poured somekinda glue? hard claear substance in there
the glue arrow, is probally what you are talking about, all the 3.4 have that. i think its just a metal hole. and for the vacume line most of them are small and black tubeing and if one is broken you should beable to hear it sucking in air.
For example the vacume line comeing off the Fuel Pressure Regulator and other examples in pic.

timka86
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
[
the glue arrow, is probally what you are talking about, all the 3.4 have that. i think its just a metal hole. and for the vacume line most of them are small and black tubeing and if one is broken you should beable to hear it sucking in air.
For example the vacume line comeing off the Fuel Pressure Regulator and other examples in pic.

the metal hole you're talking about is a freeze plug, as coolant circulates through the TB, so it doesn't crack the TB, the plug pops out. but since you're in HI, you got nothing to worry about.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
how to check for a vacuum leak, buy a can of starting fluid. with engine running, spray on the vacuum hoses, around the UIM, around the TB, try not to get the plug wires wet with it, as it could cause misfires, or even a FIRE. try not to spray on the exhaust as FIRE IS A HAZARD. if you hear the engine rev up, means its sucking it in. means you got a leak. it should help you find the location of the leak.

2000 GT Coupe
02-19-2009, 09:56 PM
use carb cleaner or even simply wd-40, way less chance of problems then starting fluid.

nickofcourse
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
when i first start my car it goes to 1500 rpms. I believe this isj ust high idle and dumping fuel to warm the engine up. After warmed i idle at 650.