Parking brake light won't shut off... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake light won't shut off...

Pass
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
For the past 2 or 3 weeks i've noticed when I start my car in the morning my parking brake light is on without my parking brake being pulled up (on). My car drives fine but I can't put cruise control on... but, randomly the light shuts off 5-10 minutes into my commute. Any explanation on what can be causing this?

Its fairly cold out right now but I dont think that is the problem...

DrFabulous
02-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Are you sure the cable isn't sticking or something, so that the parking brake is actually being used slightly without the handle being up?

If all else fails, take the cluster apart and put black electrical tape over the light lol

stillriza
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Are you sure the cable isn't sticking or something, so that the parking brake is actually being used slightly without the handle being up?

If all else fails, take the cluster apart and put black electrical tape over the light lol

and then do your tails too for the blacked out look:angel

lvemy3100
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Brake Warning System Operation

The standard brake system uses a single red BRAKE warning light. The light is located in the instrument panel cluster. When the ignition switch is in the START position, the BRAKE warning light should glow. When the ignition switch returns to the RUN position, the BRAKE warning light should turn off.

The following conditions will activate the BRAKE warning light:

The parking brake is applied. The light should be on whenever the parking brake is applied and the ignition switch is on.
The fluid level is low. A low fluid level in the master cylinder will turn the BRAKE light on.
For electrical diagnosis of the BRAKE warning system, refer to Brake Warning System Check

Antilock Brake System

The antilock brake system uses a red BRAKE warning lamp and an amber ANTILOCK lamp. Both of the lamps are located in the instrument panel cluster. The lamps should activate under the following normal conditions:

When the ignition is turned to the RUN position prior to starting the engine.
When the engine is cranked. The red BRAKE lamp and the amber ANTILOCK lamp should light.
When the engine is started, the red BRAKE lamp and the amber ANTILOCK lamp should come ON.
For further information regarding the warning lamp operation of the antilock brake system, refer to ABS Operation in Antilock Brakes.

lvemy3100
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Brake Warning System Check

Step
Action
Normal Result(s)
Abnormal Result(s)*

<LI type=1>Ignition switch in the ON position.
Park brake not applied.
BRAKE indicator Illuminates briefly.
Brake Warning Indicator Always On
Brake Warning Indicator Inoperative

Apply the park brake.
BRAKE indicator Illuminates.

Brake fluid level low.
BRAKE indicator Illuminates.

lvemy3100
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Brake Warning Indicator Always On

Circuit Description

The BRAKE warning indicator has two functions. First, it will light whenever the park brake is set. The Body Control Module (BCM) will command the indicator on via serial data with the instrument cluster. Second, a switch built into the brake master cylinder reservoir will signal the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) if the brake fluid level drops below a safe level. The BCM will then command the indicator on via serial data with the instrument cluster. In addition, the indicator is commanded on when the EBCM is initially powered up (the ignition switch is turned to the ON position).

Diagnostic Aids

The following conditions will activate the brake warning indicator:

An applied parking brake while the ignition switch is in the ON position
A low fluid level in the master cylinder
Thoroughly inspect any circuitry that may cause an intermittent complaint for the following conditions:

Backed out terminals
Improper mating
Broken locks
Improperly formed or damaged terminals
Poor terminal-to-wiring connections
Physical damage to the wiring harness
Test Description

<LI value=2>This test determines if an ABS malfunction has turned the BRAKE warning indicator on.
<A name=TD03><LI value=3>This test determines if the brake fluid level switch circuit is commanding the BRAKE warning indicator on.
<A name=TD04><LI value=4>This test determines if the park brake circuit is commanding the BRAKE warning indicator on.
<A name=TD06><LI value=6>This test checks for a park brake switch stuck in the closed position.
<A name=TD07><LI value=7>This test checks for a short to ground in the park brake switch circuit.
<A name=TD08><LI value=8>This test checks for a brake fluid level sensor stuck in the closed position.
<A name=TD09>
This test checks for a short to ground in the brake fluid level sensor circuit.

Pass
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
ok thanks a lot... don't know what a lot of that means but im going to check my brake fluid level later today and let you know if that was the problem.

Im 100% the brake arm is in the down posistion and not pulled up at all. I have tried to go up and down with it a couple times to try to get the light to shut off.....

will post back.... thanks for your help.

Hotrod6
02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I had that light as well and replaced the brake release switch and nothing,turned out to be that the float was bad in the master cylinder and wouldnt float

AznGA
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I had the similar problem. The BRAKE light would stay on and go away after 5 min. of driving. I added a little bit of DOT approved brake fluid and it has been fine since.

Pass
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I ended up checking the fluid level of the brake fluid and it was fine... either way I added fluid to just under the MAX line and BINGO BANGO light is now gone. Thanks a lot guys... really appreciate the help...