Upgrading to larger battery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to larger battery

darkshines
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I know our stock ACDelco battery group size is 75/25. Is there any other sizes that will fit without modification?

The reason I ask is because Canadian Tire won't give me a warranty on a bigger battery unless I can prove it fits in the stock location, otherwise they classify it as "unintended use'.

Also, the CT guy told me I can't have a deep cycle battery (Exide Orbital) under the hood because it leaks gas. At that point I just walked out; regardless I do need to go back and get a car battery.

KhellendrosxS
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Also, the CT guy told me I can't have a deep cycle battery (Exide Orbital) under the hood because it leaks gas. At that point I just walked out; regardless I do need to go back and get a car battery.

That guy is an idiot. Those batteries are completely sealed and will not leak unless you puncture them yourself. I got an exide when I moved my battery to the trunk for that very reason...no gasses. If you get a deep cycle type battery you wont need anything larger than the stock size unless you need more cold cranking amps for some reason.

With its advanced recombinant technology the Orbital is completely and permanently sealed. During normal use, hydrogen and oxygen within the battery are captured and reunited to form the water supply within the bound electrolyte. Recombinant technology eliminates the need to ever add water to the battery. Another feature of this battery is that it can be installed in any position. With its unique triterminal design, there are two sets of terminals on top and one set on the side. This makes it a smooth fit for most vehicles, including those that require the battery be placed in the trunk or passenger compartment. These original equipment terminal locations make installation fast and easy in many vehicles. You can even install the battery upside down in the passenger compartment, which will give the auto manufacturers a great deal of flexibility in future designs.

source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1266741.html

darkshines
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
That guy is an idiot. Those batteries are completely sealed and will not leak unless you puncture them yourself. I got an exide when I moved my battery to the trunk for that very reason...no gasses. If you get a deep cycle type battery you wont need anything larger than the stock size unless you need more cold cranking amps for some reason.[/url]

Exactly what I figured. He insisted I could only have it in the trunk, not the hood, because it puts out gas. Even using his nonsensical logic, why would it be fine to have gas filling up my trunk to begin with?

edit- anyways, I'm not looking to buy a deepcycle quite yet, I was just looking at the normal Motomaster Eliminator battery, which I wanted in size 34 for way more CC (875 vs. 575 in the size 25).

thormxkid
02-20-2009, 02:29 PM
just find out what vechile (i suck at spelling) the battery you want would fit in and use that as what your putting it in....
i've heard of ppl doin that

rocketfast123
02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
When i put my lager redtop in i had to cut the battery tray a little. But the batter hold down still works.

dragon8807
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I know our stock ACDelco battery group size is 75/25. Is there any other sizes that will fit without modification?

The reason I ask is because Canadian Tire won't give me a warranty on a bigger battery unless I can prove it fits in the stock location, otherwise they classify it as "unintended use'.

don't buy an exide battery, they're junk, i know that because that's all we sell at work

Mike Jung
02-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Go to Costco (or Sam's Club) ;)

Get an Optima RedTop battery size 75/25.
It is here locally about $130 Cdn.
CCA is 720.

AGM type batteries FTW :D

PS: Your stock battery BCI Group Size is: 75

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/optima.htm

Mike Jung
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
If you set in buying a battery from Canadian Tire...lol

Get a Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Grid (NOT a deep cycle) Battery.
They are their AGM type batteries.
They are $159.99 Cdn.
CCA is 690

Black Knight
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Whats the difference between a Yellow Top and a Red Top. Im looking for something to back up my audio setup. Ive already got a power cell, but I want a nice deep cycle battery to compliment.

Mike Jung
02-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Whats the difference between a Yellow Top and a Red Top. Im looking for something to back up my audio setup. Ive already got a power cell, but I want a nice deep cycle battery to compliment.
Sounds like you want an Optima YellowTop then.
That is their deep cycle version of an AGM type battery.

RedTop is their general starting car (AGM type) battery.
(Meaning, not meant to be drained !!!)

Black Knight
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you want an Optima YellowTop then.
That is their deep cycle version of an AGM type battery.

RedTop is their general starting car (AGM type) battery.
(Meaning, not meant to be drained !!!)

Haha, well the the Yellow Top it is. I have a nice power cell that Im installing, its the equivalent of a 200 farad cap, and its just a second battery basically. I have to wire in two more 100 amp fuses. I'll be pulling around 2000 watts to my 12" Type X, so all the extra insurance I can would be awesome. Plus Ive wanted to throw a really nice battery in there, just because of the dimming caused from the brake lights and what not.

darkshines
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM

CCA is 720.

Why are they so damn cheap at Costco? I went to my local Lordco autoparts store, where I get a 30% discount, and the yellow top was about 350, so I figured the red top wouldn't be that much cheaper.

Mike Jung
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM

CCA is 720.

Why are they so damn cheap at Costco? I went to my local Lordco autoparts store, where I get a 30% discount, and the yellow top was about 350, so I figured the red top wouldn't be that much cheaper.
Bulk buying power

From Aug 31, 2008
Just back from my local Costco...

Optima batteries:

RedTop
75/35 = $129.99 Cdn <- This is our stock size (75).
34/78 = $147.99 Cdn

YellowTop (Deep Cycling)
35 = $156.99 Cdn
34/78 = $169.99 Cdn

DefaZe
03-15-2009, 12:11 AM
So I went to Sam's to look at a yellow top, they only have 34/85 I think was the size? Will that fit?

nickofcourse
03-15-2009, 05:01 PM
seeing as a 75 is stock, probably not.

DefaZe
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
So is that a yes or a no

nickofcourse
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
it will probably fit if you cut the battery tray some? anyone?

2000 GT Coupe
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
measure your stock battery and go back and measure the one they have?

BOOTMASTER
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
i got the biggest one from wal-mart, like 1100cca or something(not sure), for like 80 bucks with a 5yr warranty and it fit in the stock location just fine.... i do have a wai though, which freed up some extra room, but it fit in the stock tray location and had both top and side posts so it was easier to hook up my power wire for the amps/subs...