horn isn't working properly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : horn isn't working properly

Bouchie11982
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
so about a month ago now, a few friends helped put in a new module (the multifunction one, with the wipers and blinkers and all that crap) and well the replacement ended up beak and just didn't work. so they put the original back in. well....now my horn doesn't work when the wheel is turned, even the slightest bit!! it has to be dead straight for it to work, and when it is, sometimes it doesn't work. it has it moments......
any idea? i mean could something have broken in the back or...??
i'd HATE to bring it to the stealership and get ass raped full of services and labor and crap....is there a safe way to check without breaking anything?? lol

2000 GT Coupe
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
There is something in there that pivots, I have not looked at one of these but older ones use a spring like thing if that is not in place it wont make contact.

Bouchie11982
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
that might be it, not sure. i can push with all my might and nothing....

KhellendrosxS
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you need a new clockspring. Its what allows the cruise and horn to work.

ryanbgb22
02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, mine did this aswell. Didn't work no matter what, and then began working out of nowhere. I'd like to know the reason too.

Bouchie11982
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
the cruise control i haven't tried yet. you mean just for it to spring back and forth or work all together? i'll test that out tomorrow.

2000 GT Coupe
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
the cruise control i haven't tried yet. you mean just for it to spring back and forth or work all together? i'll test that out tomorrow.

Its purpose is to keep the contacts together while the steering wheel moves in a circle, in most things the contact is straight across example :=: however when you turn your wheel those contacts are now
:
:
and thus not making contact. this particular piece sort of wraps around so no matter where the wheel is the contacts are still together.

Lab Rat
02-23-2009, 05:52 AM
There is a contact pin on the back of the MFS. That HAS to be pushed in when you reinstall. It makes contact with the contact ring on you clockspring. If you are lucky you can pull the MFS and straighten out the ring and reinstall WHILE pushing in the pin. I did bend mine but was able to get it back together properly. Good luck.

Treviathon
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
There is a contact pin on the back of the MFS. That HAS to be pushed in when you reinstall. It makes contact with the contact ring on you clockspring. If you are lucky you can pull the MFS and straighten out the ring and reinstall WHILE pushing in the pin. I did bend mine but was able to get it back together properly. Good luck.

This man speaks the truth. I completely bent my pin and wrecked the spring that supplies the constant pressure allowing your horn to work. The replacement takes no more than a few minutes if you keep the pin pushed in when removing and when putting the new one in.