Problem with Shifting NEED HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Shifting NEED HELP

-trigger-
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
okay so my car has always ran fine, but today it just doesn't want to shift gears. It only happens when I give it a lot of gas but it seems to struggle shifting into higher gears. The Rpm needle just keeps bouncing up and down around 3000 rpms jerking the car. It has 54000 miles. I'm wondering is it the fuel filter or maybe tranny fluid but any info would help. By the way no SES lights or anything is on.

-trigger-
02-24-2009, 06:52 AM
okay so it cant be shifting being the problem, when I take it out of automatic and put it in different gears it does the same thing around 3000 rpm but not in neutral or in park. i have a stage 3 cai and it looks pretty dirty. i am going to recharge it and change my fuel filter and see what happens(it hasnt been changed since I got the car at 30000 miles). anyone think this will help?

KhellendrosxS
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
You dont have an SES light on or you would have said so so here are your options for now.

If the filter needs cleaned do that, you may be starving the engine for air.

As for fuel filters they should be replace at least every 50000 miles so you wont be hurting anything by doing it and they are cheap so go for it and see what happens.

-trigger-
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
so I found out it is the MAF going bad, glad its not serious. the dealer wanted to install a new one for $400! yeah right, it costs $140 from gmpartsdirect.com

PhantomLover007
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
$400 for an easy change.. Damn I need to work for GM... lol

-trigger-
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
ok update, I don't think it was the MAF as the problem, I installed white faced gauges last year but I put the tach needle on to tight so it occasionally would stick, and now after just fixing this today my car runs great, no jerking of the car or bouncing needle. it still has the supposeably bad MAF in it. i'm wondering was this what caused the problem or is today just a fluke?

KhellendrosxS
03-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Fluke. The needles have nothing to do with how the car functions.