Override ETS and add Push Button Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Override ETS and add Push Button Start

aeh5126
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I really hate the ETS on my '02 grand am gt. I never use it. Every time I start my car the first thing I do is turn it off. So I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to have a push button start and thought to myself that I would have to get a relay and a momentary switch. The bottom two prungs on the back of the ETS button is momentary. I tested it and current goes through the switch when you push it in and let it go the current stops going through it.

I'm no electrician but if you would splice into the red and yellow wires that go to the the ignition and wire them to a 30amp relay then splice into the bottom two wires on the back of the ETS to turn on the relay, will this act like a push button start and also override the ETS on start up by using the ets button as a push button start?

Of course I would have to put the key in, turn it to ON and push the ETS button but thats fine, thats what I was going for anyway.

Is this even possible?

RPO3
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Uh oh...who is gonna take care of this one

aeh5126
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Anybody have any idea?

notsoaveragej0e
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Push button start is a waste of time-- youll turn the key two clicks, then reach over and hit a button, when you could just turn the key one more click to start it. It might be cool and novel at first, but I imagine it'll get old pretty quickly.

I'm not sure about the ETS function, but it is in place for a reason, and that is to keep you safe. IMO just leave it be, and if it really bugs you that much it takes three seconds to shut it off manually.

GA2000GTSpeed
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
theres already a thread about push button start... if you would of read that it would make u wish u never created this thread

aeh5126
03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
But would what I said work? I'm just curious if it can be done that way.

timka86
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/18

that's the same button that's in my G. this is a universal application.

PhantomLover007
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Pretty cool.

Metallman56
03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
i like the idea, cause its differnt. but i have no idea if it would work.

cardude007617
03-04-2009, 01:55 AM
http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/18

that's the same button that's in my G. this is a universal application.

damn thats alotta wires.

to the OP: why does it irritate you? its not like it kicks in under normal driving... mostly during snow and gravel situations.

rocketfast123
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
look at the age

aeh5126
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
look at the age

What is that supposed to mean?

GA2000GTSpeed
03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
alotta things... like me i normally keep it off unless its bad weather... cause i never know when i might end up doin a couple burnouts or some idiot thinks there honda is fast...

notsoaveragej0e
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
you gotta keep it off because it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

Nick-G
03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
you gotta keep it off because it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

lol

rocketfast123
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
What is that supposed to mean?

You don't drive a 500hp+ GTO. And under normal and even hard driving the ETC does not come on. The front wheels have to spin pretty hard for it to even come on.

aeh5126
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
You don't drive a 500hp+ GTO. And under normal and even hard driving the ETC does not come on. The front wheels have to spin pretty hard for it to even come on.

So... how does age have to do anything with wanting to put in a push button start in a car. I have had the ETS come on many times even on dry pavement. I just thought that it would be cool to put the key in and push the ETS button so the engine starts and ETS is already disabled.

Also who really cares if you have a 500hp+ car anyways. Yeah, you may win a lot of races or drags but your car is your car. You can make it how ever you would like to and nobody has to tell you different. If you are just going to bash on my idea and thoughts stop posting.

rocketfast123
03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
1. So... how does age have to do anything with wanting to put in a push button start in a car.

2.I have had the ETS come on many times even on dry pavement.

3.I just thought that it would be cool to put the key in and push the ETS button so the engine starts and ETS is already disabled.

4. Also who really cares if you have a 500hp+ car anyways. Yeah, you may win a lot of races or drags but your car is your car. You can make it how ever you would like to and nobody has to tell you different. If you are just going to bash on my idea and thoughts stop posting.

1. Nothing

2. :applause:

3. You might end up burning up the ETS switch, and it could get stuck. It would suck to come outside to a dead battery, bad starter, and maybe a small dash fire. Simple way would be to search about this, becuase it was talk about like 2 weeks ago.

4. Not bashing you, but for real you wont get a real answer.