3400 Engine Removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3400 Engine Removal

76TA01GAGT
03-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I am new to the removal process of a front wheel drive and need some guidance. We have a 3400 with an automatic, which I understand will come out with the transaxle staying put. My questions is what is the best access/ sequence to remove the lower bellhousing bolts that go into to the block? I have the top two out and the middle ones I can see. The front one appears to be behind the engine motor mount? In my looking and thinking will I need to hook up the hoist then remove all the motor mounts to get to the last bolts on the bellhousing? Thanks in advance for any/ all help. Please guide me to another thread if this is covered elsewhere. Thanks!

PhantomLover007
03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
You have a Hayne's or Chilton's manual?

76TA01GAGT
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Yep, got the Haynes manual, not really descriptive about that particular part of the removal though..............

PhantomLover007
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Ahh. Yeah. They do get a bit sketchy sometimes...

76TA01GAGT
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
If I dont see any replys, my plan is to hook it up and take the weight off and remove the motor mount and see if that allows access. I will post what we end up doing.....

Iceminze101
03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
The front one yes you will need to take that motor mount off to take the bolt out. The back one it's easier to get a bunch of extentions and get it from underneath the car. When you start lifting the motor you really need to make sure none of your wires are attached to the transmission and the frame. I messed up one of my ABS sensors that way.

76TA01GAGT
03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up and information. I will do a double check on the wiring.

76TA01GAGT
03-08-2009, 06:02 AM
here's what we found;

1.) Dont miss the wiring like advised above, it is attached to the firewall side of the block - we got it per this good information.
2.) Take the exhaust off, it allows much better access to the bellhousing bolts. The one by the firewall runs backwards into the bellhousing instead of into the block like the rest
3.) front lower bolt - put your lift on the enginer, lift off prsssure and remove the motor mount that goes to the transmission for access. then remove the bellhousing bolt, then put back on the mount while the engine is out - this is very easy with the pressure lifted on the engine.
4.) remove all the mount on the front of the engine (passenger side) along with the motor mount while you lift out.
5.) Remove and set aside (leave attached) power stearing and A/C
6.) Motor only takes about 1/2 to 1" to passenger side and shoots right up - no problem

Now for the replacement or re-build.......................

bigstribs
03-08-2009, 07:40 AM
So i'm going to assume that you got it out ok?

76TA01GAGT
03-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Yep, out with no casualties :)

Has anyone ever used ARI engines in Grandview Missouri before? We live fairly close and thinking about using them for our machine work if we go the re-build route (in lieu of a remanufacutered engine)