Castrol Edge [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Edge

Metallman56
03-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm just wondering how good this oil really is. i saw it at walmart for over $7 a quart. which seems really high. i'm basically just wondering if its worth it. anyone try it yet?

PhantomLover007
03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
*Waits for the oil and rubber guru to chime in*

Mike Jung
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm just wondering how good this oil really is. i saw it at walmart for over $7 a quart. which seems really high. i'm basically just wondering if its worth it. anyone try it yet?
Yes, it is.

But German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is still better IMO.
Unless you want a thinner viscosity motor oil that meets Euro performance spec. ACEA A5.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 > Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 > Mobil 1 5W-30 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78384)

About focking time that Castrol US synthetic is made with PAO (again) & good addictive pack.
But too bad we do not get the Euro version of it.
& why is Canada not gettting any Castrol Edge yet ?

PS: Welcome to Canadian pricing LMAO lol
Castrol Syntec 0W-30 & Mobil 1 0W-40 is about $9.99 Cdn per 1L bottle.
That is about $7.50 US per US Quart.

GrandAmMe
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
*Waits for the oil and rubber guru to chime in*

My thoughts exactly.

Metallman56
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
can i use edge for 6k miles mike?

nickofcourse
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Just use google g-d. it all depends on how you drive.

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq

Mike Jung
03-08-2009, 11:28 PM
can i use edge for 6k miles mike?
With 5K miles seems to be the new "3K miles"...for normal drivers.

I would hazard a guess as, yes.

But it depends.

Is your GA:
have any signs of a leaking LIM ?
If it does, all bets are off.

Are you running your car rich ?

Do you idle alot ?

Is your cooling system working properly ?

How well is your air filter working...etc.

To be conservative..try it for 6-months / if your Change Oil light comes on (which is set up for dino motor oil).
With a maximum mileage cap of 7.8K miles (based on what my owner's manual lists as a maximum).
This is what GM Canada is calling for these days.

I am currently running oil changes if my Change oil light comes on, or annually.

When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72502)

My last oil change was pre-mature, at 6k km (3.7K miles) & 6 months
I hit a speed bump.
& then I had an oil leak.
Oil drain pan plug gasket was faulty & my oil filter became loose.

Malaclypse
03-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Just something to mention on OCIs for these folks.

Using the Castrol Syntec 0w30 in both of my Cobalts I'd change the oil when the oil life reached 20%. That was usually around 8-9k miles. At around 40k after this kind of oil change schedule I had the valve cover off to replace the timing chain tensioner. Everything on the head was so clean it looked brand new.

Just saying that even though 5k is the new 3k, 9k will be the new 5k soon so long as you're using a quality oil.

Mike Jung
03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Just something to mention on OCIs for these folks.

Using the Castrol Syntec 0w30 in both of my Cobalts I'd change the oil when the oil life reached 20%. That was usually around 8-9k miles. At around 40k after this kind of oil change schedule I had the valve cover off to replace the timing chain tensioner. Everything on the head was so clean it looked brand new.

Just saying that even though 5k is the new 3k, 9k will be the new 5k soon so long as you're using a quality oil.
Thanks, for the feed back with GC :)

I know I am being conservative using the Change Oil light in my GA.

rocketfast123
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Ehh $7 for a qt? That a little too much for my blood.