alignment? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : alignment?

ga2001gt532
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
i personaly never got a alignment done before so i don't know what they actually do. Can a person do it them selves or do you have to take it to the shop for them to do it. What i see is just jack the front up so both wheels are off the ground and some how adjust the tierods. Or is this just a dumb question and you have to take it in.

Nick-G
03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
You have to take it to a shop to have an alignment done. Theirs no way you could do it yourself without the right tools/equipment.

tenspeed
03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
The most critical part is the toe in and if you are handy, you can actually adjust the tie rod ends to adjust it. You take measurements of the inside of the front tires on the ground. Measure the front and the back at a smooth spot on the sidewall and make the front 1/8" less.

A shop usually can do a more accurate job and they check the rears, the camber and caster.

AaronGTR
03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
There's a lot more involved than just checking the toe... and you can't adjust the alignment with the car in the air because the wheels are off the ground. ;) They have to be on the ground so that they can adjust the wheels as they sit on the road while you are driving.

It is possible to do you own alignment... but it is very time consuming, you need special tools, and you need a perfectly flat and level surface to work with. Most people don't have these, and it is easier and faster to just take it to a shop and have it done on an alignment rack. They do them all the time and know what they are doing. On a side note, you really should get your alignment checked once a year, even if you aren't doing any work on the suspension that would require it. Alignments can change over time just from general use and wear, and correcting the alignment will keep the car performing it's best and can slow down wear on the tires and suspension parts.

ga2001gt532
03-10-2009, 11:19 PM
ok thanks i'am planning on replacing my front struts sometime this spring. so i was just wondering since i was replacing them myself, if i could just do that myself. But going and getting the alignment at a shop will have a better outcome,plus it dosen't cost to much.