German shepherd or A Bull dog [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : German shepherd or A Bull dog

EJM89
03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I've been looking pretty hard on getting a dog, I've been torn between two differ breeds, and the title says either a German Shepherd, or a Bulldog. Its a tough one, I know they both are very good dogs, and well behaved. Im leaning more towards a German Shepherd.. but not 100% sure. Just would like some input which one would be better.

SikMindz
03-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I've heard that German Shepherds taste better because they're more lean.

notsoaveragej0e
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Don't get a bull dog unless you're prepared to give it a lot of attention. Also, it is not a dog you can go to the dog park with and let run totally free and not watch. Their nature is not such to be friendly with other dogs (relative to a German). Also, if left alone in your house, they WILL destroy the place.

PhantomLover007
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Shepard. Very smart and loyal dog.

tenspeed
03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I've had the German Shepherds and my sister has the bulldogs. Her dogs are nice but they are a lot of maintenance. They have breathing problems.

Both breeds are smart and have a lot of play drive. If you get a larger Shepherd, keep it from jumping. They can have hip problems. Our last one had his back legs paralyzed when we put him down.

Ajaxus
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
The german shepherd will be easier to train, and they make both a good guard dog and family dog. Their intelligence is almost unrivaled.

That's where my vote is.

timberwoof
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
If I had to choose between the two. I would go with the German Shepherd. Very good dogs, loyal, easy to train, and make good dogs for kids. Me and my wife are gonna look for one when we get our own house.

Bull dogs are good dogs too, but are high maintenance like everybody else has been saying. Prone to cancer of the jaws, breathing problems, sometimes need surgery to correct the breathing. But otherwise very well tempered dogs as long as you train them right.

PhantomLover007
03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqyh0fE9G04

KhellendrosxS
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
My only advice is to avoid dog parks like the plague.

There are too many idiots that let their dogs run free that cannot catch them, restrain them, or recall them if a fight breaks out. Not only that but your dog may be the most well behaved dog that some other dog decides it wants to pick on and you have no idea how your dog will react in that situation. You certainly dont want your GSD to be to blame for mauling another dog.

They are also cesspools for dog health problems. Think of all the owners that bring in coughing dogs, dogs with parasites, dogs with UTI's, the list of possibilities is endless. All it takes is for your dog to run through a pile of crap (or remnants thereof) and then lick its paws to get sick.

As for your breed choice Id get a GSD too but make sure you do your due diligence and find yourself a good breeder who will help you make the right choice on which animal you pick and not some BYB (back yard breeder) who is only in it to make a few bucks and cares nothing about the health of their animals. Specifically ask about health testing and titles. If the breeder cannot produce either walk away quickly, you have just found a BYB. If the breeder can produce heath papers, has a strong line of working dogs (titled) and isnt breeding so many litters that the dogs are exploding then youve probably found yourself a reputable breeder. The dogs generally cost more and you might be on a waiting list (after filling out an application) but you get a will get a dog with a better temperment, longevity, and will most likely be easier to train.

You could also consider rescuing a GSD. If you get on petfinder you can search your area by breed and see if anyone has a GSD rescue program. My wife and I got our doberman through a rescue and he's the most docile dobe Ive ever come across.

-edit-

GSD = German Shepherd Dog

AleroB888
03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
The german shepherd will be easier to train, and they make both a good guard dog and family dog. Their intelligence is almost unrivaled.

That's where my vote is.

It helps if you already speak German.

ltpats
03-12-2009, 08:43 AM
If you decide on a German Shepard save yourself a lot of heartache and make sure both parents are OFA certified and if you can observe the parents temperment that would be a good thing as well. Don't buy from a backyard breeder. These dogs (as well as al larger breeds) have hip problems as they age. And another important thing is training, make sure you set aside the time to have the dog properly trained. I've owned Rottweilers all my adult life and I can't stress enough the need for proper training.

Bryan
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Shepardddd

crazypontiac03
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
If you decide on a German Shepard save yourself a lot of heartache and make sure both parents are OFA certified and if you can observe the parents temperment that would be a good thing as well. Don't buy from a backyard breeder. These dogs (as well as al larger breeds) have hip problems as they age. And another important thing is training, make sure you set aside the time to have the dog properly trained. I've owned Rottweilers all my adult life and I can't stress enough the need for proper training.

What he said, I like both However i like the German Shepard more
Both Breeds are Good it really depends on how well you train them. If you want a smaller dog look at the Boston Terrier's. There hyper but not Jack-russell Hyper. Any dog with the smashed in Face can have breathing problem's. I have two Boston's and both Snore, kinda funny actually.

Also as stated watch the dog parks. There are Decent people in there with well behaved dogs and some time's you get people that take know time training there dog. Also some Dog parks which are suppose to be better charge you a yearly fee. In order to be allowed into the Paided dog parks at least in Northern IL. Your dog has to be up on all shot's, Rabbies tags etc. Check with your park district.

Good luck with whatever you get, just take the time and train them well. Remember the bigger the dog usually the short the life span.

tenspeed
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
It helps if you already speak German.

We used German for Schutzhund commands and English for more casual situations.

KhellendrosxS
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
We used German for Schutzhund commands and English for more casual situations.

Works great with Dobermans too. Our neighbor trained his mutt using German. Some people say that dogs understand German better than other languages.

Amber99ga
03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
hands down German Shepard unless you are prepared to deal with the array of health problems that come along with bull dogs..(which type of bull dog are you talking though??? English Bull dog?) I can give you plenty of vet clinic horror stories on both breeds, any breed for that matter.

Whatever you get unless your looking to rescue, get from a reputable breeder, pay the extra money for a dog that comes from certified parents, do your research and make and educated decision. And don't think that just because someone else has a really cool dog of that breed that your dog will be the same..... I have a head case boxer at home to back that one up! What are you looking for in a dog, research the breeds and find out what fits your lifestyle best.

Ajaxus
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I have a head case boxer at home to back that one up!

That's not nice to say about Tony...;crap

PhantomLover007
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
lol lol

SikMindz
03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
If you talk to a German Shephard in German, do you talk bull**** to the other? *shrug*

I like bulldogs. They don't get as big.

crazypontiac03
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Also once you decide what Breed your going to get. Look at getting Pet Insurance. Trust me its well worth it.

PhantomLover007
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah. It is.

grandam1979
05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
German shepard hands down great family orientated dog and go with a female because they are more protective of the whole family and kids

Shade2012
05-13-2012, 08:53 AM
German shepard hands down great family orientated dog and go with a female because they are more protective of the whole family and kids

Sir, this thread is three years old. I'm sure he has made up his mind by now..lol

That is all.

geldartb
05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
damn noobs and old threads.. how far down did you have to dig to find this thread.

3800L67GAM
05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
damn noobs and old threads.. how far down did you have to dig to find this thread.
I hope you know that the threads show up on google when some one searches grand am gt and what ever they search.

ItsMeScottG
06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
German Shepards and Bulldogs are both great dog breads.

However id have to recommend getting a Bulldog! Ive owned bulldogs for 15 years and they are great loyal dogs, they are not agressive however they will protect the owner and the family that they live with, they are family friendly dogs, however they do require attention (which in my honest opinion, as a dog owner you should be giving your dog some attention anyways)! Ive owned english bulldogs and olde english bulldogs, if it is hot weather wise where you live id recommend getting an olde english bulldog due to breathing problems that traditional english bulldogs have.

Also the guy who said that you shouldnt take bulldogs to the dog park and that they are not friendly dogs.... lmao, that is very much so not correct!

Bulldogs are VERY friendly dogs, they love to play and are just fine at dog parks (You may be mistaking them for PITBULLS?), also they wont destroy things if you TRAIN them (Same as any other dog out there!)

Also just for your information, olde English bulldogs look very similar to the traditional English bulldog and they also have the same good temperament, however the "Olde English Bulldog" has a longer snout (This is good because it lets them breath much better so that they don't have the breathing issues that the other members have mentioned)

Ive owned bulldogs for a very long time so I know what im talking about.

On dam I didnt realize that this thread was three years old, I thought it was recent haha