My front end rattle dilemma [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My front end rattle dilemma

EAGLESHEAD
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi everybody,

Earlier this week I started hearing a rattling sound from my front end. I've read over the forums here and did some other searching, but have not been able to come to a conclusion on the cause. Perhaps if I describe the problem, someone more knowledgeable will have a suggestion or two.

My car is a 2000 Grand AM GT V6 sedan with 89,500 miles on it. On Monday evening of this week, I began to hear an intermittent rattling sound when I start the car, have it in idle, or driving at very low RPM. When the car is in park and I rev the engine up or accelerate while in drive, the intermittent rattling sound disappears. When driving above 20 mph or so, the rattling sound is absent. The rattling sound remains upon idling even when the brake pedal is depressed or when the AC unit is turned on. I opened the hood to try and pinpoint the sound, and it seems like the sound is originating from the motor area, perhaps under the top part of the motor.

The rattling sound seems to be temperature independent, as even after running for a while, the sound persists. When idling, the sound persists in park, reverse, or drive. It only disappears upon acceleration or travel above 20 mph. I do not hear any additional sounds when going over bumps, when turning, or braking.

I have noticed a different sound, kind of like a ratchet being turned at a very high velocity. This sound seems to be frequency (but not pitch) dependent upon the current RPM of my engine. This sound persists when the previously described sound does not. I do not notice it at highway speeds, but this may be due to the fact that the engine itself is louder at those speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas? My car drives normally, no problems with accelerating, braking, turning, etc., it's just this annoying noise. I can live with the noise, I just need to know if it's related to a potentially serious and expensive future problem. I'm thinking a tune up might help as I have not replaced the spark plugs or wires since I bought the car 4.5 years ago with 27k miles on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

cardude007617
03-12-2009, 12:17 PM
lol DUDE I just noticed this with mine too like a week or so ago.

It's NOT caused by the driving gear right? It's like a vibration when your stationary correct?

EAGLESHEAD
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes, it's when I'm stationary, or in drive but not depressing the accelerator.

cardude007617
03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
right, except mine goes away when the car warms up.

without getting under the car or really looking at anything yet my guess it is a heat shield loose from being hit with snow and slush all winter long.

EAGLESHEAD
03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
right, except mine goes away when the car warms up.

without getting under the car or really looking at anything yet my guess it is a heat shield loose from being hit with snow and slush all winter long.

That's a good suggestion. I did move from Virginia to Massachusetts a month ago and have had to deal with some snowy and slushy roads. I don't recall hitting any big snow piles, but perhaps it was something small.

cardude007617
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
its weird though how it's only when the car is not moving. you would think it would continue

Hiier
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Was this ever resolved? I have the same problem

GrandAmMe
09-16-2009, 04:01 PM
sounds almost like the A/C compressor like mine. Mine likes to play metal on metal sympathys while the A/C is off. But once its on the sound is gone hence the clutch engaged.

EAGLESHEAD
09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Was this ever resolved? I have the same problem

Yes, I took it to a shop and it was a cracked flywheel. The repair cost $600-700 total. I've had no similar problems since the repair.

Good luck

Hiier
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Ahh god. I think if I can I'll do the flywheel myself. I'll have it looked at, but I really appreciate the response